The NPI Project Engineer provides technical expertise to lead the organization in process development, implementation, and maintenance of manufacturing processes of surface mount and/or through-hole printed circuit board assemblies in order to drive continuous process improvements site wide.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans; confers with management on engineering issues related to customers.
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements; assigns personnel to phases and elements; review bids from contractors
- Determines project specifications by studying product design, customer requirements, and performance standards; completing technical studies; preparing cost estimates
- Confirms product performance by designing and conducting tests
- Determines project schedule by studying project plan and specifications; calculating time requirements and sequencing project elements.
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress; coordinating activities; resolving problems
- Controls project plan by reviewing design, specifications; plan and schedule changes; recommending actions
- Perform design of experiments (DOE) to launch new models and optimize SMT process yield
- Prepares project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; recommending actions
- Establish robust, repeatable and reproducible process parameters and process controls
- Leads team in selecting, implementing, and maintaining efficient manufacturing equipment and procedures for assigned product(s).
- Thorough knowledge of DFM processes, reporting and tools.
- Provides leadership in customer quality and efficiency efforts by directing support teams to improve cycle times and reduce defects.
- Determines and specifies, revises and/or reviews the most economic methods, operation sequencing and tooling for the manufacture of Print Circuit Assemblies.
- Coordinates with customers to determine product specifications and design changes
- Specify equipment and process requirements for new PCBA build processes and Box Build.
- Confers with management, engineering and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes
- Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential.
- Perform process development and validation on new models in extremely aggressive timelines
- Lead efforts to uncover root cause and develop a permanent resolution on issues found during pre-production.
- Ensure the successful transition of products from development to volume production.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, to achieve corporate and departmental objectives.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to operate and have knowledge in using industrial standard manufacturing software
- Ability to assign cost analysis criteria to projects and determine potential cost savings on a project-by-project basis.
- Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and demonstrate the ability to determine critical parameters and develop process controls.
- Must be able to read and understand PCA assembly drawings and technical notes
- Demonstrated ability with technical writing. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to management and technical staff audiences. Ability to stand in front of small to large technical audiences and provide training.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound written and oral communication skills; must be able to write and understand routine reports, follow oral and written instructions, and speak effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people.
- Must have knowledge of use and operation of standard office equipment and be familiar with commonly used CAD, email, internet, word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and materials. This position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in Contract Manufacturing and EMS industry desired.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering. Electrical or mechanical engineering preferred.
- Four plus years of demonstrated experience in SMT process engineering
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable