Vast Broadband - Sioux Falls, SD
Manager – Network Operations Center
The NOC Manger position is critical to managing the Network Operations Center and the day to day stability of the Network.
This position will manage the NOC team while developing and overseeing Network Quality Assurance initiatives to achieve greater Network Reliability and improved customer service results.
Responsible for various facets of network operations in support of the local management team and is also accountable for network availability results and performance. This position reports to the CTO and performs varied tasks of moderate complexity requiring the application of standard procedures and criteria. This person will need to demonstrate a degree of leadership for both internal and external customers. This person would provide direction and will serve as a point of escalation in regards to outages and troubleshooting problems of network equipment and circuits; this includes the physical fiber plant, transport equipment, and all critical infrastructures within the network. This person should have experience with circuit provisioning, maintenance and testing of Ethernet and SONET based services including the installation of telecommunication equipment, testing, turn up, physical outside plant network in a given geographic area, including metro and long haul fibers. This position provides technical direction to ensure necessary alignment across multiple focus areas both internal and external to deliver services in a timely manner.
- Builds a high-performance team responsible for maintaining Network stability and managing resolution including physical plant restoration
- Ensures performance results meet or exceed established service levels; on-?time performance for service repairs and network restoration
- Contributes to cost-effective management of the operational expense budget and capital expense budget
- Evaluates situational events using alternative analysis, innovation, and good judgment to make effective decisions to increase network performance
- Responsible for the development and communication of reports for Network Health, outages, MOP's and Routine Maintenance with upper-level management
- Responsible for the development and standardization of NOC processes and procedures
- Responsible for the development, documentation, and communication of all network activity
- Responsible for accurately analyzing trends in trouble history
- Responsible for MOPs relating to routine diagnostics, growth, and upgrade activity are accurately tracked and communicated
- Reviews and monitors all system performance reports, scheduling necessary actions to avoid system degradation and customer service interruptions
- Responsible for the development and standardization of alarm profiles for all network elements
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of a comprehensive vendor contact and escalation list
- Coordinate and conduct routine operational support committee meetings
- Provide 24/7 technical support for NOC as needed
- Provides root cause analysis of chronic or repeat trouble reports, and catastrophic outages.
- Create and identify additional Network Measurements/Metrics that will show Performance Metrics are in line with Quality of Service goals and Service Level Agreement (SLA) guarantees
- Support optimization of the supported networks through diagnoses and resolving repetitive network problems by analyzing network characteristics and recommending additions, removals, and modifications to the network topology
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for network improvements (identifying single point of failures, hardware improvements and/or diversification opportunities)
- Assesses risk, strategic impact and short and long-term needs with emphasis on network quality improvements
- Frequently interfaces with NetworkEngineering and Network Operations to identify, review and ensure network improvement efforts are on time and in line with company goals
- Facilitate reviews, audits, definitions, updates and implementation on Engineering and Operations work
- Assist in developing and managing a preventative maintenance plan that will be reviewed and implemented monthly, quarterly and annually with a project completion verification and schedule coordinated with Engineering and Operations
- Perform special tasks as assigned by the Executive Director or as dictated by business need.
- Manages and coordinates field operations, facility and equipment maintenance, and installation of fiber optic equipment throughout the assigned geographical area
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years with at least 3+ years in direct management of employees
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Electronics or Telecommunications preferred
- Certifications Preferred: CCNA or ALU
- A combination of education and experience is acceptable
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities:
- 5-7years of experience with Network Operations, Installation, Test, and Turn-?up of a variety of Telecommunication equipment including Ethernet, SONET, DWDM, Routers, and Switches. Strong leadership skills and the ability to manage individuals. A technical and mechanical background with experience on the latest generation of Ethernet transport gear and DWDM infrastructures.
- Must have a high degree of experience and/or knowledge of at least two of the four major Operational disciplines. Those technical disciplines are: Management, Transmission (DS1/DS3/SONET), TCP/IP (routers/higher-?layer protocols), and Network Operations. Some technical evaluation and fundamental judgment is required, while building an internal and external network. Must have PC skills and be well versed in Microsoft Windows and Office applications. Ability to quickly learn corporate databases. On-call24x7 is required as dictated by the business.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally required to stand; walk; to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee may be occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee-?owner may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus. In addition, the position may require frequent movement and activity relating to using keyboards, viewing data on computer displays, and communicating verbally and in writing to the needs of others.
Job Type: Full-time
- Direct Management: 3years