NOC Engineer - Washington, DC
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access, Ethernet transport, and Colocation services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 210 markets located in North America and Europe. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers a competitive salary, full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment, matching 401k and stock options.
The NOC Engineer helps to expand, maintain and troubleshoot an International Internet backbone in a 24x7 operations environment. The North American NOC is responsible for layer 2 and layer 3 globally, and layer 1 for North America.
- Troubleshoots layer 1, layer 2 and layer 3 issues. Works with field engineers, hardware vendors, fiber vendors, and directly on IP and Optical equipment to achieve maximum network uptime and swift resolution of all issues
- Uses policies and procedures to help organize and prioritize network events depending on the Cogent policies on urgency
- Takes escalations from the Cogent Customer Service team to help resolve customer issues in a swift and efficient manner
- Uses network monitoring tools and ticket tracking systems to help diagnose, record, and resolve network issues
- Manages communications to the NOC department from vendors, network peers, building management, and various internal Cogent departments to monitor, sort, and document those communications within the ticketing system
- Is responsible for completing network maintenances to augment the network, upgrade equipment, and troubleshoot fiber and hardware problems
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned NOC technician or NOC engineer with strong hands-on technical skills.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills are required. The ability to identify and analyze problems swiftly on Cisco equipment from layer 1 to layer 3 is absolutely key to being successful as a Cogent NOC Engineer
- Technical Expertise: Optical experience on Cisco 15454 or NCS1K equipment including troubleshooting hardware problems and circuit building and management through a MSTP network. Strong working knowledge of IP, including IP network architecture, routing protocols, peering relationships, DNS, and network monitoring tools is required
- Equipment Expertise: Strong working knowledge of Cisco switches, routers and transport equipment like the ASR9K router, 7600 series routers, 6500 series switches, 4900 series switches, 3550 series switches, 15454 and NCS1K transport equipment
- A working knowledge of optical transport networks is desired
- Familiarity with the internet service provider industry and telephone companies is necessary
- Effective written and verbal communications skills are required
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, certifications and training
- Experience: 5-10 years of IP Backbone experience preferably in a Network Operations Center environment
- AM shifts are available. This position is located in our headquarters in Washington, DC with available shifts in Herndon, VA