The Controls Engineer will develop, implement, and support the continuous improvement efforts of the Beloit aseptic beverage manufacturing plant. This position will lead projects which focus on process control, integration, and automation of existing and new equipment and processes. This position will also supervise the electrical technician staff and provide guidance for troubleshooting and root cause analysis of electrical and automation related breakdowns.
This position, in particular, will focus efforts on improving the daily operational efficiencies of certain highly automated packaging systems manufactured by Tetra Pak AB. These systems include aseptic filling machines, accumulators, cap applicators, and case erecting/packing machines
- Intimate knowledge of the start-up, operation, and troubleshooting of Tetra Pak-manufactured packaging line assets
- Intimate knowledge of the latest generation of industrial controls, analog instrumentation measuring flow, pressure, temperature, etc., digital I/O, precision pneumatics, and hydraulics.
- Experience with configuring, tuning, and troubleshooting proportional, integral, derivative (PID) control loops in-process applications.
- Provide technical leadership and support for the operation, maintenance, and continuous improvement of electrical, manufacturing instrumentation, and process control systems.
- Implement improvements in systems capabilities that will increase the ability to meet customer requirements (including safe and reliable operations and improve business competitiveness).
- Work closely with the Line Leadership, Technical/Manufacturing Resources, operators, and mechanics to understand the business, site needs, and user needs and priorities (voice of the customer)
- Provide Instrumentation and Process Control assistance for the manufacturing area in various technologies ranging from Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), IP21 data systems, and other interfaces with various IT technologies and systems.
- Provide programming support and commission new instrumentation, equipment, and processes.
- Administration of Allen Bradley PLC systems including monitoring and upkeep of applications, documentation of electrical systems, control panels, and programs.
- Troubleshoot and replace system hardware, resolve software malfunctions, and manage software upgrades.
- Work with maintenance to develop improvement options to address reliability issues in process, packaging, and utility systems.
- Actively supports a wide variety of formal and informal Maintenance and Engineering projects and other duties, as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field
- Four or more years of large system programming experience including PLC ladder logic, HMI screens, servo motion control, and robotics
- Five+ years in food processing/manufacturing
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated track record of attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Experience and knowledge with Clean In Place (CIP), Aseptic, Fluid Flow systems, packing line integration, and utility controls.
- Superior technical skills relative to controls, instrumentation, industrial networks, systems integration, and documentation.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, some project management experience is desired
- Electrical troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team-based environment with multiple projects under time constraints.