WHAS-TV is looking for an experienced, motivated News Director to oversee content distribution in the newsroom.
TEGNA is re-imagining local news in the digital age— thinking big and being bold to deliver content to our audience on multiple platforms. Our ideal candidate can identify engaging content, teach others how to do so, and develop a road map to meet the goals of our company.
In this role, you will:
- Strategically lead, inspire and manage News Department.
- Oversee on-air and digital news content.
- Work closely with the news team to produce high-quality, relevant, local content that sets the station apart from competitors.
- Prioritize collaboration between television and digital content teams to create original programming and breaking-news coverage for all platforms.
- Foster, encourage and reward out-of-the-box thinking that leads to differentiation and success.
- Emphasize the importance of solid research to build credibility.
- Use consumer analytics to determine content.
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms, including social media.
- Lead a culture that owns enterprise reporting and breaking news across all content platforms.
- Inspire and coach superior, unique and engaging storytelling.
- Coach journalists to write for website, including attaching images and streaming video.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Interact daily with all department heads in a mutual effort to achieve station goals and extend our brand.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, to drive and fulfill the mission while abiding by the values of this organization.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree and news leadership experience.
- 7-10 years of content experience, including generation of original content, and 2-3 years managing other journalists.
- Successful innovative leadership, communication, and staff and product development skills.
- Solid journalistic judgement and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement.
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems.
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism.
- Skills in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content.
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus.
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under time pressure deadlines.
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.