KSEE and KGPE, the Nexstar-owned NBC and CBS affiliates for California’s Central Valley (Fresno-Visalia-Merced, DMA #54) are seeking an experienced and dynamic News Director with the talent, energy and leadership to lead our News Department.
The ideal candidate will have a digital-first content philosophy with fluency in all social media platforms. This is an exempt position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The successful candidate will be a positive, proven and effective communicator with a track record of news room and digital leadership to include execution of best-in-class breaking news, weather coverage and community service on all broadcast & digital platforms.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Management of news department including editorial leadership of content on all digital platforms.
- Recruits & manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
- Develops & execute news coverage strategy for the both affiliates and all digital platforms
- Proven track record of coaching and mentoring news personnel.
- Leads content initiatives; assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
- Strategic planning in collaboration with other station personnel to establish and reach station goals.
- Ensures achievement of viewer growth goals.
- Budget administration.
- Passion for and understanding of local politics, overseeing a weekly 60 minute politicalprogram
- Exceptional execution of special programming including live election coverage, political debates, community affairs, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, oral, written and presentation.
- Minimum five years’ experience in news programming production, with at least twoyears’ experience in a leadership role. (More or less depending on market size.)
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actionsto achieve them.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate witha team to shape a solution.
Requisition ID 2019-4156