We build Blue Bottle cafes for the simple purpose of serving delicious coffee to everyone who asks for it. Our development team strives to bring much care, craft and intention to building our cafes as our roasters and baristas bring into every cup of coffee we serve. As a New Cafe Opening (NCO) Leader, you will ensure our cafes seamlessly transition fromconstruction to operation, enabling ourretail teams to focus on what they do best— providing incredible hospitality and deliciousness to our guests.
- Build and lead the New Cafe Opening (NCO) team at Blue Bottle
- Ensure overall execution of new cafe openings and remodels through cross-functional collaboration with construction/development teams, retail, recruiting, training, finance, creative, etc.
- Partner with construction and retail teams to define responsibilities and deliverables to ensure all teams have clarity and accountability
- Complete setup of cafe and own the handover process from the construction/development team to the retail team, and be a facilitator of post-mortems and discussions for future improvements
- Determine, forecast and manage overall NCO staffing needs and staffingdistribution to the various projects
- Manage last minute construction-related issues that may conflict with NCO timeline and schedule
- Actively manage and coordinate NCO related vendors, installations, deliveries, and ensure initial orders for consumables are placed
- Assist when needed with vendor coordination for signage installation as well as operating permits and inspections
- Test all cafe equipment prior to opening and work with vendors to ensure they are in pristine condition
- Train and create scalable training modules for all Cafe Leaders so they have the tools and resources they need to operate our cafes
- Provide feedback and guidance to the Design, Development and Preservation teams on specific lessons learned as well as process improvements as it relates to the NCO process.
- Be present during mock service (a week before opening) to oversee and inspect cafe operations
- Provide site and project specific training to the Retail Team, such as operational information for access, MEP system, security and other similar systems.
- Establish with the Development and Retail teams handover process, schedule and deliverables
- Strategic, structured and savvy, bringing together business judgment, great people instincts, and deep NSO expertise
- Collaborative and build trust-based relationships with your stakeholders
- A leader who is both a great role model as well as fantastic coach and trainer who brings out the best in others whether in a large group or 1:1
- Comfortable with ambiguity, rapidly changing environments, and building from scratch
- A quick yet thoughtful decision maker who knows when to act and when to escalate and reach out for support
- Analytical and metric-oriented, always seeking internal and external data to validate our approach
- Results oriented. You can get things done. Actively following up with your partners to make sure that you’re all on track with the project and always keeping key stakeholders in the loop.
- Willing to travel 50% of the time to our markets (Bay, LA, NY, Boston, DC, Miami, Tokyo and more)
- 5+ years experience managing programs, including leading cross-functional NSO-related retail initiatives
- Construction, real estate and project managementexperience is a plus.
- Food and Beverage experience is a plus.
- Experience with permits and inspection, such as health inspections is a plus.
- 3+ years experience leading teams of 5 or more
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience presenting to varied audiences
- Last but not least, a deep love for great coffee, food and exceptional experiences.