Tennant Company is a recognized leader in designing, manufacturing and marketing solutions for industrial and commercial cleaning markets, with more than $820 million in annual revenues. With a vision to become a global leader in water-based sustainable cleaning and othertechnologies, Tennant creates innovative solutions, such as our ec-H2O products, that are changing the way the world cleans.
Tennant employees work to create a cleaner, safer, healthier world. Tennant is a company that cares about what it's doing, and the sustainability of its products, and works every day to develop new solutions that clean exceptionally well, but don't damage the environment. Employees of Tennant Company work with a spirit of Stewardship. Very simply, Stewardship is a filter for our actions and decision-making, as we strive to leave things in better condition than when we found them.
The New Product Development Mechanical Engineer III designs and develops innovative mechanical and electro-mechanical product components or sub-systems for industrial and commercial mobile cleaning equipment. This position works as part of cross-functional development team to create designs that meet requirements for performance, product cost, and the project schedule.
Additionally this role:
- Applies principles of engineering and science to achieve product designs at the subsystems level that deliver lasting competitive advantage.
- Creates new concepts to achieve functions of assigned mechanical and electro-mechanical subsystems.
- Establishes subsystem performance specifications and plans for evolution of these specifications over time.
- Prepares preliminary layouts, models, sketches and/or schematic diagrams to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Determines nature and type of electronic models, detail drawings, and analysis required for assigned subsystems and supervises their completion through the development cycle.
- Executes research/development activities to establish and achieve technical evolution of assigned systems.
- Identifies and investigates technology developments relevant to assigned subsystems.
- Leads and mentors junior engineers and designers throughout the development cycle.
- Leverages laboratory and field test data to understand and manage designtrade-offs.
- Collaborates closely with other subsystems teams and machine teams to achieve subsystem and machine program goals.
- Creates design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
- Prepares product designs in compliance with engineering principles, company standards, government regulations, and customer requirements.
- Establishes subsystem development plans and schedules from concept to production implementation within overall business requirements. Tracks and reports progress to system leads and engineering management.
- Works with internal and external suppliers to develop subsystem designs that achieve performance and cost targets.
- Leads and participates in formal/informal design reviews.
- Plans and executes prototype builds at the subsystem level.
- Supports prototype builds at the machine level.
- Plans and supports subsystem verification and validation testing.
- Supports production implementation of assigned subsystems.
- Documents subsystems design knowledge to ensure future value to the organization.
- Creates engineering standards relevant to assigned subsystems.
- Creative / innovative problem solving.
- Self-starter, able to successfully manage ambiguous design tasks.
- Broad technical knowledge in the design and development of mechanical and computer controlled electromechanical systems.
- Data based decision making / statistical analysis.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to model and predict system performance based on engineering principles.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financialreports, and legal documents.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information to a variety of internal and external groups.
- Proficiency in CAD required (SolidWorks preferred)
- Ability to develop engineering standards.
- Proficient in GD&T, tolerance analysis and FMEA.
- BS in Engineering or equivalent from an ABET accredited four-year college or university.
- MS in Engineering preferred.
- Six to Ten years of mechanicaldesign engineering experience, project leadership experiencepreferred.
- Six Sigmaexperience a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Tennant Company is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of individual skill, ability, reliability, productivity, and other factors important to performance. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other basis protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Employees of Tennant Company work with a spirit of Stewardship. Very simply, Stewardship is a filter for our actions and decisions, as we strive to leave things in better condition than when we found them.