Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
The Network Deployment team is responsible for operating Google's network reliably and at scale. The team designs, configures and manages the installation or of Google’s network including infrastructure, hardware setup, commissioning, trouble-shooting and decommissioning old gear as we're in a constant upgrade cycle.
As a Network Transport Engineer, you'll have an appetite for accuracy and conduct audits to verify that each network site has been built to the right specifications. Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our ever-growing infrastructure.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Manage capacity adds/changes/migrations, and lead devices in networkinventory systems; manage vendor and partner operational efficiency for a large body of work.
- Partner with cross-functional teams internal to Google to achieve organizational objectives on major programs while.
- Developing and reviewing Network designs, Independently plan, design and execute turn up of long haul optical systems.
- Develop standards/best practices and efficiency improvements and driving requirements for new automation tools.
- Develop and recommend strategic and tactical changes to existing physical infrastructure (structure cable, riser, Point ofEntrance details, bulk fiber).
- BA/BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experienceworking with an optical network provider/vendor in an operations or engineering capacity.
- Experience with optical network operations and performance analysis.
- 5 years of experience in service provider environments.
- 5 years of experience with field-based work in data centers, huts and colocationfacilities managed by third-party vendors.
- Understanding of networking and fundamentals of networktroubleshooting at both Layer 1 and Layer 3.
- Knowledge of fiber types and their application; physical fiber characteristics; and standard testing tools (OSA,BERT, OTDR).
- Background in troubleshooting of DWDM and Routing systems. Proficiency in DWDM and Routing topology andarchitecture, can serve as resource for other teams.