$100K — $150K *
The Applied Research Laboratory for Intelligence and Security (ARLIS), based at the University of Maryland College Park, was established in 2018 under the auspices of the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security (OUSD) to be a strategic asset for research and development in social systems, autonomy and augmentation, and advanced computing. One of only 14 designated Department of Defense University Affiliated Research Centers (UARCs) in the nation and the only UARC focused on supporting the intelligence community, ARLIS conducts both unclassified and classified research spanning from basic to applied system development and works to serve the U.S. Government as an independent and objective trusted agent.
ARLIS research is driven by a cadre of research scientists and engineers, faculty research specialists and project engineers, further supported by senior University of Maryland faculty and a consortium of university partners. Research is typically conducted through interdisciplinary teams including, for example, social scientists, computer scientists, psychologists, linguists, cognitive neuroscientists, applied mathematicians, political scientists, policy analysts, and systems engineers.
ARLIS is actively seeking engineers (Research Engineers, all ranks, and Faculty Research Specialists) to contribute to the Acquisition and Industrial Security (A&IS) mission area. Immediate needs include support to the development and operation of a 5G hardware and software test bed. The test bed will be used to assess and evaluate novel 5G-based technologies for performance and security improvements. The test bed includes both commercial products and programmable radios as well as network emulation software. The system engineer role involves configuration and operation of the hardware and software, and collaboration on test design, execution, and evaluation. Additional responsibilities include high-level technical design of experimental networks, integration of novel technologies into the test bed, troubleshooting, and task management. The role will evolve into increased leadership responsibilities, including direct interaction with project sponsors.
Salary is dependent on experience, qualifications, and hiring level.
U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND ABILITY TO OBTAIN U.S. SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Minimum Qualifications:• M.S. with 3-5 years experience in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar field;
• Experience in system engineering, particularly model-based system engineering tools and techniques;
• Significant experience with test design, execution, and evaluation;
• Familiarity with most, and significant experience with at least one, of the following:
o Linux operating system, especially networking protocols including IP-based networking and
TCP/IP network stacks;
o Knowledge of server deployment, operation, and troubleshooting in cloud and hybrid-cloud
o Virtual Machines, containerized application software design, and container orchestration
systems (e.g. Kubernetes);
o Wireless networking standards, particularly 3GPP, as well as WiFi, Bluetooth, and LoRa;
o Cryptography and security concepts, including key-agreement protocols, public-key infrastructure (PKI), authentication, encryption, and related concepts;
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction as well as part of an interdisciplinary team;
• Strong analytic skills;
• Strong communication skills.
Preferences:• Doctoral degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field;
• Significant experience with multiple topics from the list above;
• Experience with deployment/configuration of operational IP networks;
• Experience with programming in languages such as C, C++, or Python;
• Technical, task, or project leadership experience;
• Organization of dynamic engineering teams, work distribution, scheduling, and communication;
• Good oral and written skills including the ability to document and communicate technical information in an understandable manner; ability to communicate in a wide variety of environments and with personnel at all leadership levels and with varying levels of technology expertise.
• Active TS with SCI eligibility
Valid through: 4/2/2021