Network Planning Engineer
Location: Boulder,CO Department: Engineering
Job Number: LH-1286
Network Planning Engineer
Reports To: Sr. Manager Data Architecture & Planning
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers withflexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
This position is responsible for understanding a large multinational Ethernet and IP network consisting of routers and switches from a variety of vendors with Juniper being the most widely deployed technology and by creating innovative solutions to address optimization and consolidation network opportunities. Applicants must have at least 3 years of experience working with Juniper and Cisco routing equipment and be knowledgeable on common Ethernet and IP protocols to include BGP, MPLS, and Spanning Tree. Creates targeted plans for network design options and configurations based on the overall budgets and helps schedule the completion based on requirements etc. Must also be an effective communicator working closely with Architecture, Engineering and Product team.
- Plan new IP/Ethernet networks and how to manage capacity in the responsible market.
- Assist in the development of a capital budget; provide budgetary details related to customer forecast and network upgrades. Manage capital associated with projects according to plan, develop reports, and provide weekly updates.
- Plan and develop proposal to cost effectively modernize legacy networks.
- Analyze existing extensive IP/Ethernet network and find optimization opportunities and develop high level plans of traffic migration to realize cost savings.
- Create short and medium term proactive capacity plans for development of IP & Ethernet network infrastructure.
- Develop and recommend strategies to address specific telecommunications, connectivity, and related customer service needs.
- Develop business case for expansion of IP infrastructure in new markets and provide high level IP/Ethernet network design.
- Design, engineer and recommend hardware solution to support capacity augment.
- Work well as a part of a team as well as be able to perform as an individual with minimal supervision.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and 3 – 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent planning and optimization skills.
- Must have Juniper and/or Cisco router experience.
- Expert knowledge of Cisco REP and ITU-T G.8032.
- 3+ years of experience in the planning service provider IP networks.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Visio.
- Understanding of telecommunications network circuit design and fiber optic networks or other comparable networks.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Matasol (M6) is an asset.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while being a constructive contributor to a team.
- Preferred Certification – JNCIA, CCNA
- Knowledge of the following Transmission and TCP/IP standard telecommunication practices and technologies:
- Ethernet Switching
- IP Routing
- Spanning Tree
- Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM)
- Domain Name Servers (DNS)
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.