Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Ensure the operation of multi-vendor IPv4 and IPv6 networks. Work with networkswitches, routers, firewalls and wireless controllers. Troubleshoot complex issues within the global network. Drive resolution of escalated network issues.
- Review deployed technologies, performance, capacity and standard level agreements (SLA) from a strategic point of view and provide recommendations that spawn new projects for the team.
- Partner with Engineering to provide life cycle management of office designs, software selections, validation and rollout for fleet. Drive high level strategy for larger and/or complex deployments.
- Collaborate with other Network Engineers to create and maintain best practices across the team. Review processes and best practices to ensure quality and efficiency of deployments. Evaluate and approve exceptions to design standards.
- Participate in global change management meetings. Provide training on features and functionality that are currently deployed.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in configuring enterprise-class routers and switches (Juniper and Cisco).
- Experience working with Unix systems administration, and network protocols troubleshooting.
- Master's or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Operational experience with enterprise-class routers and switches (Juniper and Cisco).
- Experience with wireless local area networks (WLANs).
- Demonstrated skills in network design, implementation and integration in operationally sensitive production environments.