The Manager of Network Engineering provides technical and managerial leadership in the planning, design, configuration, activation, maintenance, and advanced troubleshooting of Boingo Wireless MDU property networks. In this role, you will be responsible for the hiring, training, development and performance management of staff. Furthermore, the Manager of Network Engineering will have individual contributor responsibilities, thus, will assume ownership of select projects/initiatives.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide engineering support and direction for new or existing technologies and current operational initiatives
- Organize, plan, assign, and monitor the completion of work
- Ensure required reports are timely, accurate and complete
- Provide technical guidance and assistance as required for problems escalated to the team
- Responsible for personnel management, conducting performance reviews, competency development and coaching staff
- Assists the director in the development of the annual budget
- Create and maintain technical relationships with vendors providing network components to Boingo Wireless. This includes staying abreast of new hardware platforms or new features on existing hardware platforms that could benefit existing or future clients
- Wired Ethernet LAN's, Wireless LAN's (Wi-Fi), Active Ethernet solutions, GPON solutions, IP connected camera systems, Satellite TV video solutions & digital video distribution systems
- Data network elements such as IP routers, Ethernet switches, firewalls, etc.
- Layer-2 network technologies including Ethernet LAN/MAN, IEEE standards 802.1x & 802.3xx and 802.1q VLAN tagging
- IP related protocols such as OSPF, RIP, BGP-4 is a plus
- Knowledge of the IEEE 802.11 wireless standards (e.g. a/b/g/n/ac)
- Knowledge of broadcast video services including SMATV and IPTV.
- Knowledge of surveillance video systems including video recorders, analog cameras and IP cameras a plus
- 3 years of experience as leader within a service provider network engineering organization
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or computer science or equivalent experience
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or industry equivalent professional certification
- BONUS: Certified Wireless Network Professional (CWNP) certification
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in operating systems to include Mac OS X, Windows 10, Unix (or Unix variants) and/or Linux experience is a plus.
- Flexible schedule is required to include: nights, weekends and some holidays; as needed to perform after hours turn-up and/or maintenance activities
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills with a high degree of attention to detail