This position supports DLA LAN technology refresh and upgrades as the agency progresses toward an enterprise approach to network communications. This position works under general supervision, developing requirements from inception to conclusion. The current and anticipated network equipment for which the applicant must demonstrate expertise includes COTS 10 Gigabit Ethernet LAN and associated software and hardware equipment. The network consists of a corporate, campus-wide CISCO LAN plant with Gigabit switching and routing to internal servers and external networks. The selected candidate will coordinate with the PM, COTRs, and government user representatives to ensure accurate solutions and user satisfaction on technical matters.
The selected candidate will provide core network engineering services to support the full development lifecycle for the DLA LAN including; design, implementation, installation, testing, and transition to sustainment of DLA LAN equipment. Work will be conducted in Alexandria, VA with potential for frequent travel to DLA CONUS and OCONUS locations.
- Planning, performing, and documenting laboratory assessments of hardware and software for both the classified and unclassified DISN Services to ensure proper connectivity and operations between the DLA LAN, the DLA’s NOC, and DISA’s NOCs.
- Coordinating with the government customer to create a Technology Assessment Plan (TAP) to include the objectives, scope, equipment and configurations, technical approach, procedures, schedules, and roles and responsibilities required to complete the DLA LAN technology refresh and upgrades. These assessments may include independent cost estimates.
- Preparing After Action Reports (AAR) that document the approach taken, results, recommendations and supporting rationale.
- Identifying new and emerging network capabilities as well as developing product evaluation and selection criteria.
- Developing system evaluations methods and procedures.
- Producing formal documentation of recommendations for executive briefings.
- Creating an overall strategy and capability roadmap.
- Ensuring interoperability between DLA LAN, ETN/SoETN and DISN network equipment and services.
- Planning and tracking for implementation tasks.
- Creating necessary supporting configuration artifacts such as network maps, detailed designs, test plans, operations readiness test reports, device configurations, and maintenance processes and procedures.
- Providing Subject Matter Expert (SME) engineering services to the government customer.
The selected candidate will also review industry and government data relative to technology changes affecting the DISN and commercial telecommunications sector and provide preliminary design and implementation data to support the strategic planning process. At a minimum, the candidate will need to address the following areas with regard to design and implementation:
- Wireless Technologies
- IPv6 in concert with AirNet and SIPRNet transition
- Network Operations (NetOps) as defined by the Joint Task Force - Global Network Operations (JTF-GNO) to include network computer defense and situational awareness
- DISN Video Teleconferencing over ETN/SoETN and DLA LAN
- VOIP considering DISA Switched Network (DSN) efforts
- Digital Streaming Video
- Technology refreshes and upgrades to include all core DLA LAN systems and equipment
- Identification and evaluation of emerging standards as they related to the DLA LAN and DLA/DOD mandates
Experience Requirement: Five years of progressive Information Technology (IT) experience.
Clearance Requirement: TOP SECRET or SECRET with SSBI, IT-I eligible
- This position requires IAT-II level certification (CCNA Security, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, or SSCP).
- This position also requires CCNP certification.