Network Engineer – SONET
Location: Tulsa, OK or Toronto, Department: Engineering
Job Number: MR-1128
Network Engineer – SONET
Tulsa, OK or Toronto, Canada
Reports To: Director, SONET Product and Engineering
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers withflexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
SONET is a mature product line that continues to contribute significant cash to the overall Zayo business. The primary responsibility of the Network Engineer is to identify, drive and manage the reduction in internal and external costs associated with operating the SONET network as network utilization and revenue continues to decline, in order to ensure the network is operated in the most cost-effective manner possible and continues to contribute maximum cash flow to the business. The Network Engineer is also responsible for designing, sourcing equipment and costing any new builds required to meet customer growth opportunities.
- Monitor the decline in network utilization and identify opportunities to optimize and consolidate assets to reduce ongoing operating costs
- Represent the SONET SPG on cross-functionally driven optimization projects
- Work with Sales and Product Management to understand, design cost out network builds to support new revenue growth opportunities
- Support Product Management for new revenue opportunities by checking network facilities and capacities and recommending additions, changes and related costs to support those opportunities
- Plan, engineer and issue designs as required for growth and optimization projects
- Work with Design and Tier III teams on circuit grooms for optimization projects
- Track all optimization activities in order to report on status and progress
- Support the NCC and Operations on an as-needed basis to source replacement parts or alternate routes during outages in order to reduce customer impacts and to ensure the network continues to operate reliably
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years of experience in a technical telecommunications role
- In-depth knowledge of fiber optic telecommunications network architecture and design specifically SONET
- Ability to look at technical problems from different perspectives and develop unique solutions
- Independent self-starter with a strong work ethic and able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to manage competing and shifting demands and priorities on a daily basis
- Good understanding of costs and business case development
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to use the tools available (Salesforce, Metasolv M6, MS Office) to obtain the information needed to perform daily duties.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.