Description of Work:
- Provide enterprise customer with dedicated networkarchitecture/design and life-cycle network engineering support.
- Provide support with knowledge and expertise in network design and engineering of networks the size and complexity of very large enterprise network, expertise in Cisco technologies, and expertise in other network technologies deployed at SSA, e.g., Synchronous Optical Network (SONET), SNA, and MPLS.
- Provide Advanced Technical Support (ATS) for complex data networking issues. Personnel shall provide technical support for enterprise devices and network routing failures.
- Provide technical leadership for complex network project work, including functional subsystem upgrades for network devices and services as well as strategic upgrades to the network core.
- Provide support and advice with Layer 2, 3, and 4 networking concepts and technologies, including routing protocols, Network Address Translation (NAT), and Layer 3 QoS.
- Provide support and advice with Cisco routing and switching equipment and related technologies.
Advanced Technical Support
- QoS modeling for Ethernet links connected to the MPLS cloud,
- Developing strategies for migrating enterprise customer to different network technologies, services, or architectures,
- Providing third level technical support to enterprise customer to resolve routing, circuit, QoS, and other issues that may affect enterprise network, and
- Interfacing with other subcontractor internal resources to seek and coordinate additional levels of network design and engineering, or other expertise required to address complex technical issues.
Network Engineering MPLS/Cisco/IP Technologies
- Developing network engineering drawings and design documents, test plans, test cases, test scripts, and other artifacts related to network engineering projects undertaken by the customer,
- Developing network test, validation, and integration plans,
- Engineering, planning, testing, and implementing stack IPv4/IPv6 network,
- Engineering, planning, testing, and implementing enterprise network enhancements, changes, software upgrades and patch deployment,
- Engineering, planning, testing, and implementing the new data center,
- Engineering, planning, testing, and implementing WAN services at the data center location,
- Engineering, planning, testing, and implementing new network technologies and services that SSA intends to deploy,
- Engineering and standardizing CER/SED and other network components configurations,
- Supporting SSA with current and future designs and engineering of enterprise Data Center and Field Offices WAN,
- Testing of new router hardware and IOS,
- Participating in SSA technical and network planning meetings and discussions as requested, and
- Reviewing network design and engineering artifacts, network test plans, and other network technical documents produced by enterprise customer or enterprise customer contractors.
Network Engineering IBM Networking Technologies
- Performing engineering, configuration, customization, and problem determination of IBM Personal Communications using Logical Link Control (LLC) and Telnet (TN) 3270,
- Performing engineering, configuration, customization, and problem determination of z/OS Communications Server, Enterprise Extender, and Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP),
- Performing engineering, configuration, customization, and problem determination of mainframe Netview,
- Engineering, planning, designing, and implementing dual stack IPv4/IPv6 network component in z/OS Communications Server,
- Providing technical leadership in all matters relating to the implementation of Advanced Peer-to-Peer Networking (APPN) and TCP/IP protocols and their interdependencies with z/OS Communications Server, and
- Engineering, planning, designing, and implementing a major migration from SNA/LLC to TN3270 using IBM Personal Communications and z/OS Communications Server.
Consultation and Advice
- Advising and recommending enterprise customer on management and operational improvements,
- Researching new network technologies and compatibility with other contractor's services,
- Keeping enterprise customer abreast of other contractor's new service offerings or changes to existing service offerings and potential benefits or impact to enterprise customer,
- Recommending design/engineering changes that would improve network performance,
- Providing advice on how subcontractor's network services can be best used to support enterprise network needs,
- Interfacing with Cisco and other enterprise contractors/vendors to resolve network routing, hardware, software issues that may affect enterprise network,
- Performing analysis of and recommendations for solving complex network problems,
- Proposing and recommending technical solutions to resolve network problems in cooperation with other vendors within enterprise customer,
- Making recommendations for new products, services and product/service features that could improve enterprise's network functionality, and
- Explaining complex network functions and features to customer management and junior engineers.
Minimum knowledge, skills, abilities needed.
- 30 years of experience with Bachelor's degree or 20 years of experience with Master's Degree in STEM area.
- Minimum of 20 years' experience hands-on experience in Cisco routing and switching equipment and related technologies; Layer 2, 3, and 4 networking concepts and technologies, including routing protocols, NAT, Layer 3 QoS; and circuit testing in a large multi-center data environment consisting of at least 40,000 devices.
- Minimum of 20 years' experience with the implementation of TCP/IP and Enterprise Extender protocols and their interdependencies within z/OS Communications Server
- Minimum of 20 years' experience in IBM mainframe networksecurity protocols: IPSEC, TLS, and AT-TLS
- Minimum of 15 years' expertise in customizing Netview command lists (CLISTs) and SAS programs for mainframe network analysis and debugging purposes.
- Minimum of 20 years' experience with WAN, LAN and SAN equipment (specifically MLX, VDX and DCX).
- Excellent presentation, communication and customer interaction skills.
- Must be able to obtain a Position of Public Trust clearance
- Must be a US citizen or green card holder
Candidates with these skills will be given preferential consideration.
- Prior Federal Government/Government/ large scale corporate working experience
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Possess technical writing skills and able to review others work products
- Experience with server hardware to include Dell, HP, or Cisco.
- Extensive experience with Cisco Nexus 5000 or 7000 series Layer-3 switches and Nexus series Fabric Extenders.
- Experience in OSPF, BGP, VPLS, MPLS.
- Solid understanding of internetworking: security, routing, switching in IBM Z/OS environment.
- Experience writing technical reports and white papers.
- Ability to document and describe Z/OS data communication and infrastructure design, including rationale for decisions and implication of decisions.