he Division of Information Technology provides reliable and accessible IT services to elevate and enhance Texas A&M University. We provide IT leadership to the campus community while serving the mission of Texas A&M. With trusted services and innovative solutions, we are changing the technology landscape on campus. To learn more about IT at Texas A&M University visit us at: https://it.tamu.edu/
What we want
The Network Engineer III, under direction, serves as technical lead for network engineering projects or services. Provides technical oversight for the application of and compliance with technical standards. Coordinates the technical activities of a network engineering team. Completes reports and summaries for management and users including project status reports, problem reports, and progress summaries. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What you need to know
Hiring restrictions in compliance with System Policy 15.02 Export Controls: Must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or a person granted asylum or refugee status in accordance with 15 CFR, Part 762; 22 CFR §§122.5, 123.22 and 123.26; and 31 CFR § 501.601.
COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors and updates our recruiting, hiring and onboarding processes to align with local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. Each department has established both remote and in-person procedures for conducting these processes, which include sanitizing common spaces, a mask policy, and maintaining safe physical distancing to the extent possible. Departments will provide the procedures to be followed at each step of the recruiting process.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five years of networking design experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with a diverse range of people. Must have strong interpersonal skills
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Hiring restrictions in compliance with System Policy 15.02 Export Controls: Must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or a person granted asylum or refugee status in accordance with 15 CFR, Part 762; 22 CFR §§122.5, 123.22 and 123.26; and 31 CFR § 501.601.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology
- Five years in Higher Education
Preferred Licenses and Certifications:
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Project management, mentoring, negotiation skills, basic vendor relations, advanced client relations skills, proposal writing, business acumen, persuasive communication, adaptability to change, team leadership skills, and quality assurance methodologies
- Use of automation to improve functions or tasks
- Design Networks and Network Upgrades - Implement and coordinate design activities for very complex, networking projects. Review network design plans. Review construction blueprints. Work with the Project Management Team and attend construction meetings. Develop network design plans. Implement networks from design plans. Work with the Chief and Network Architect on network designs.
- Network Testing and Security - Implement and coordinate tests for used to certify complex networking projects to required installation design standards. Review plans for installation and testing of enterprise-level networks. Create lab environments for testing network plans before they put in production. Use automation to complete routine task. Also, in collaboration with the network security team, help oversee the monitoring and maintenance of network security. Review security alerts to see how they apply to equipment in the field. Apply software updates to network equipment. Work with the vendors for security vulnerabilities alerts.
- Problem Management - In collaboration with the field services and installation teams, help coordinate and monitor the problem management process to include backup support. Analyze, troubleshoot, track, and repair complex enterprise data. Document using change and problem management.
- Client/Vendor Consultation - Provide technical oversight for the development of plans for new networks or upgrades. Facilitate input from clients, systems administrators, contractors, and vendors to develop specifications and plans for large and complex networking projects. Meet with vendors to review latest technology and road maps. Work with vendors on demos and demonstrate how the product will work in a campus environment. Meet with customers.
- Documentation - Oversee the process used to document network changes. Monitor and audit documentation of network engineering designs, plans, maps, methods, procedures, problems, and repairs. Use change management to document changes. Create SOP’s. Create network maps. Review changes made to network equipment.
- New Technology Deployment and System Integration Testing - Create, evaluate, and approve plans for the implementation of new technology deployments and system integration testing.
- Technology Planning and Evaluation - Coordinate the evaluation of new technologies. Make recommendations based on the evaluation of new technologies for their applicability to the client’s needs.
- Project Planning Support - Collaborate with the project leader to develop work plans and time schedules for projects including outlining phases and identifying personnel and computing equipment requirements. Attend weekly project meetings.
- Common Duties - May coordinate the technical activities of a project team; complete reports and summaries for management and/or users including status reports, problem reports, progress summaries, and system utilization reports; serve as a senior member of an information resource team responsible for setting technical direction; and perform all or some of the duties of a Senior Network Engineer.
- Professional Development - Participate in training and professional development sessions. Performs other duties as assigned.