Network Engineer III, Enterprise Solutions Engineering - Spectrum Enterprise
Assists in the planning, forecasting, implementation, and identification of resource requirements for network systems of high complexity. Designs and establishes protocol compatibility standards, develops and implements network enhancements and makes recommendations for improvement. Responsible for implementation of network architecture and designs.
Major Duties andResponsibilities
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Participates in network planning, networkarchitecturedesign and engineering.
- Integrates and schematically depicts communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links and protocols into complete network configurations.
- Evaluates new products, performs network problem resolution.
- Assists in the development and documentation of technical standards.
- Develops and implements approved methods of procedure.
- Designs and establishes protocol compatibility standards, develops and implements network enhancements and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Works on projects/ systems/issues of medium to high complexity surrounding network planning, configuration and optimization.
- Provides escalated tier support across organizations and to third party vendors.
- Works on one or more projects as a project team member, occasionally as a project team lead.
- Coaches less experienced staff.
- Adhere to industry specific local, state, and federal regulations, as applicable.
- Knows, understands and follows company policy.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Ability to use personal computer and software applications
- Advanced data networking knowledge (OSI Model, TCP/IP, Optical Transport)
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Advanced knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber (Multimode, Single mode, UTP, etc.), Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols
- Advanced Knowledge in networkdesign, networkarchitecture, protocols and network topology
- Advanced knowledge in using ticketing and software tools to support the current operations.
- Advanced Knowledge of basic network devices and basic network appliances
- Advanced knowledge of networkdesigning software, such as Visio
- Ability to perform duties in a very fast pace environment and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Data networkexperience 5 Years
- Understanding of Spectrum Enterprise products and design standards.
- Experience with Ethernet and Optical networks.
- Cisco, Alcatel (Nokia), Juniper, and/or Ciena equipment experience.
- Experience with a large campus, enterprise, or carrier MPLS/BGP networks.
- Design or Operations experience with a Network Service Provider.
- Experience creating Bill of Materials (BOMs) to deploy network equipment.
- Experience documenting equipment and circuitdesign with Visio drawings.
- Working experience with Telcordia Granite inventory and circuitdatabase.
- Understanding of DC and AC power planning and deployment for network equipment
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP or CCIP) or Juniper Networks Profession Certification (JNCIP)
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training (MEF, Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, etc.)