A Network Engineer is responsible for ensuring successful operation of our enterprise-wide voice and data network in order to provide maximum performance and availability for the Apogee businesses. This individual is responsible for development and deployment of a network infrastructure based on best practice design, configuration and security policies. In this role, the incumbent will:
- Configure, install, and maintain LAN, WLAN, WAN and VoIP infrastructures at all Apogee locations.
- Estimate, plan and execute network and infrastructure related project tasks.
- Analyze, plan, and document network changes to improve performance and accommodate network growth.
- Proactively monitor and resolve quality and technical issues in an effort to provide outstanding customer service to the business.
Configure, install, and maintain LAN, WLAN, WAN and VoIP infrastructures at all Apogee locations:
- Maintain, enforce and support an enterprise-wide voice and data network architecture that aligns to the business and IT strategies.
- Configure, install and maintain routers, switches and firewalls.
- Partner with others IT teams to create and execute other infrastructure related IT strategic initiatives.
Estimate, plan and execute network and infrastructure related project tasks:
- Measure performance of actual to estimate on scope, time and budget.
- Successfully execute project related tasks on time as assigned.
- Develop small to medium sized network related project plans.
- Execute small to medium sized project tasks to plan.
Analyze, plan, and document network changes to improve performance and accommodate network growth:
- Analyze data traffic patterns within network infrastructure, detecting operational problems and recommending improvements to ensure optimal performance.
- Ensure that all aspects of the network are thoroughly documented and kept up to date.
Proactively monitor and resolve quality and technical issues in an effort to provide outstanding customer service to the business:
- Implement network backup and recovery plans to maintain reliable network operating systems.
- Monitor trends in documented incidents and determine appropriate actions necessary to eliminate future occurrences and improve customer service level in appropriate time frame.
- Respond with appropriate sense of urgency to problems escalated to network engineering.
- Escalate to management any situation that could adversely impact service provided to the business.
- Partner with other IT staff to troubleshoot issues outside the network platforms.
- Transfer knowledge and mentor other members of the team.
- BS/BA MIS, Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years of progressive IT experience.
- Minimum 4 years of direct infrastructure/network experience.
- Minimum 2 years of Cisco VoIP and Call Management System experience including design, configuration, and upgrades.
- Cisco CCNA, CCDP and/or CCIE preferred, ITIL Certification a plus.
- Knowledge in configuration, installation, troubleshooting and support of Cisco wired and wireless network equipment.
- Understanding of network infrastructure protocols including OSPF and BGP.
- Understanding of Cisco ASA firewall configuration and maintenance.
- Knowledge of Video Conferencing and VoIP equipment and operation.
- Experience documenting network topologies using Visio.
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Solid verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Familiarity with Service Desk ticketing systems.
- Travel up to 25%.
- Physically able to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment.