The Network Engineer position is responsible for defining, designing, implementing and supporting data communication solutions for employee and customer use.
The position also proposes and implements data communication system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the company’s network, telecommunications and security services.
This position designs, implements and maintains various systems including WAN, LAN, Remote Access, IPS/IDS, Firewalls, NAC , Phone Systems and multiple network security zones such as Partner, B2B, Ecommerce, DEV, QA, Internal and Preproduction.
The network engineer conducts project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparison recommendations as part of the data and telecommunication solution development process.
In addition the network engineer position defines, designs, implements and supports the data communication infrastructure for customer facing web-based applications and services across development, QA and production environments.
Relocation assistance is not an option for this opportunity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as a lead or resource on internal and external projects as defined by management. Prioritizes assigned projects and develops project plans, requirements, architecture diagrams, deadlines etc. and reports progress and status on timely basis
- Uses standard Corporate IT tools to monitor and maintain systems and network as per agreed service levels
- Develops and documents network and telecommunication configuration and security standards in network engineering arena
- Adheres too, follows, recommends, updates and mentors junior staff members on standardized IT processes including project tracking/mgmt. time reporting, issue escalation, and change management.
- Builds, configures, replaces and troubleshoots network hardware and associated devices
- Participates as a contributor to defense in depth security practices developing appropriate security recommendations and implementations at the network and telecommunications level
- Performs total cost of ownership in solution development and adheres to industry best practices and standards
- Participates in cross team design and troubleshooting sessions as a trusted infrastructure resource.
- Works with development staff in production application publishing and application launches as well as QA and PREPROD environment updates
- Learns, troubleshoots and supports custom and off the shelf applications for employees and customers from a network engineering position ensuring smooth transition of application issues to other departments, vendors and outsourced support services in relation to network and teleco services
- Provide level 2 and level 3 support for escalated network and telecommunication issues
- Maintains technical knowledge and skill level as technology platforms and business initiatives change
- Adheres to company policies and acts as a contributor to defense in depth security policies for Network Engineering arena
- Develops and maintains cross team relationships ensuring that the Network Engineer position and Technical Operations team is looked to as a trusted partner for infrastructure services
Critical Success Factors
- Flexibility, openness and desire to learn
- Strong team personality and ability to work well within a small group openly sharing and communicating across teams
- Logical thinking process and troubleshooting skills
- Communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong customer service focus
- Analytical skills with a keen eye to detail, rigor and follow up
- Ability to quickly grasp new concepts and learn to apply them to diverse situations.
- Technical enthusiasm and desire to learn and apply new technical concepts and technologies
- Strong work ethic with desire to put forth the best solution possible
- Ability to take direction, listen closely and work independently based on given directions and guidelines
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent or four to ten years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Palo Alto Firewalls
- Cisco Routing Switches
- System Administration
- Large infrastructure projects