This position is the engineer for the most complex network planning and design projects. The Network Engineer will assist in setting standards for installations, for monitoring the performance of the network, and for setting data management practices. Ensures that hardware and infrastructure related to Flagstar’s data network are effectively maintained. This position is involved in the procurement of new hardware and the roll out of new software. This role will oversee the work of and mentor less experienced network administrators.
- Engineer best practice solutions and promote technical expertise in evolving data center, WAN, User Access, and Cloud network technologies ensuring application availability and business continuity for the enterprise.
- Maintain current topology & operation of the existing network infrastructure and in-depth understanding of how it works to deliver optimal troubleshooting of issues, and to ensure network changes cause zero or near-zero impact on applications and users.
- Conduct research & analysis to provide solution engineering of network technologies that offer a potential value in the present and/or the future, and make recommendations accordingly ensuring secure, reliable, fault tolerant, high performance, scalable and manageable network designs to meet enterprise needs in accordance with long term architectural vision.
- Assume technical leadership in the design, deployment and maintenance of network systems with appropriate life cycle planning, and assure reliable, scalable and durable production systems.
- Deliver enterprise wide initiatives through collaboration with internal customers working/directing cross functional teams to support corporate goals on time, on budget.
- Contribute to project teams during the development and documentation phases; analyze business and technical requirements; prepare project specifications, plans and schedules; communicate with stakeholders; coordinate approvals and marshal necessary resources; deliver tested and authenticated results on time and within budgeted costs.
- Assume ownership for large/complex systems projects; mentor Network Engineers in the best practices for ongoing maintenance and scaling of large/complex systems.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Complete all required compliance training. Maintain knowledge of and adhere to Flagstar's internal compliance policies and procedures. Take responsibility to keep up to date with changing regulations and policies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field plus 7+ years of technology related work experience - OR - 10+ years of comparable work experience
- 7 + years of technology experience preferably working a network administration or engineering capacity
- AWS Cloud Certification, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE (Cisco certifications) are preferred
- Expert-level competence in IPv4 routing, switching and security technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS (customer side), AAA/Radius/Tacacs, IPsec, GRE, NAT, 802.1q, and QOS
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills, coupled with a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Excellent written and verbal English-language communication skills, with the ability to influence others with network engineering solutions
- Excellent ability to learn and to teach, and to be a team player
- Experience with leadership and supervision
- Substantial knowledge and experience with enterprise networking products including routers, switches, wireless, and security products.
- In-depth understanding of network segmentation and virtualization technologies such as VLAN, VPN and VRF
- In-depth understanding of DNS and DHCP
- Proficiency with network performance monitoring and troubleshooting tools, as well as common management and communications software
- Working knowledge of load balancing including Cisco (CSS or ACE), Citrix (Netscaler), and/or Apache (mod_jk)
- Familiarity and experience with IP Address Management (IPAM) tool(s)
- Comfortable with logging into and navigating Unix/Linux operating systems, and using common commands
- Understanding of CI/CD Pipelines and DevOps methodologies
Plus required to be accomplished in at least 2 out of 6 following specializations:
- Expert-level competence in load balancing including Cisco (CSS or ACE), Citrix (Netscaler), NGINX, and/or Apache (mod_jk)
- Substantial knowledge and experience in application performance monitoring, system log analysis, service health monitoring
- Proficiency with Python or similar general-purpose scripting environment
- Enterprise experience with disaster recovery issues, solutions, and exercises
- Solid understanding of automation and integration of networking tools
Data Center Networking
- Expert-level competence with data center LAN technologies
- Expert-level competence with Cisco UCS
- Substantial knowledge and experience with internal security zoning
- Solid understanding of SAN, FC, FCOE/CNA, and NAS systems and protocols
- Solid understanding of enterprise hypervisors, (Hyper-V, ESXi, XEN)
- Solid understanding of containers
User Access Networking
- Expert-level competence with user LAN technologies including wired and wireless user access security (TrustSEC, ACE, ISE, 802.1x, DAI, DHCP Snooping)
- Expert-level competence with remote access VPN
- Substantial knowledge and experience with 802.11 wireless
- Solid understanding of Cisco TrustSEC
Wide Area Networking
- Expert-level competence with WAN technologies including MPLS-based WAN services and BGP
- Expert-level competence with Cisco Viptella, Cisco Intelligent WAN (IWAN) including Performance Routing (PFR), Quality of Service (QOS), WAN Optimization (WAAS), and DMVPN
- Expert-level competence with edge routing and WAN aggregation
- Substantial knowledge and experience with WAN service providers and related best practices
- Expert-level competence with redundant firewall configurations including access control, network address translation, and site-to-site VPN implementations
- Expert-level competence with network integration of Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS), URL filtering systems, application firewalling, and web application firewalling
- Expert-level competence with Cisco VOIP gateway configurations
- Substantial knowledge and experience with Cisco Unified Communications architecture and network operation
- Substantial knowledge and experience with Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise architecture and network operation
- Substantial knowledge and experience with IP Telephony Service Providers and SIP services
- Solid understanding of multicast music on hold
- The job requires a moderate degree of physical exertion and stamina such as standing, sitting, walking, driving or infrequent lifting.