The Enterprise Information Services (EIS) team at Cedars-Sinai understands that true clinical transformation and the optimization of a clinical information systems implementation is fueled through the alignment of the right people, processes and technologies.
What will you be doing in this role?
The Network Engineer performs a broad variety of technical engineering support for monitoring and managing the Health Systems data communications network. Helps set and implement standards, policies and procedures and works as a liaison with contractors and vendors to ensure the integrity and security of the network. Performs maintenance, and upgrades of networks, including servers, routers, switches, firewalls, remote access systems, and network management systems. Monitor network connectivity and ensure high quality data transmission. Provides technical support to various departments and users with regards to LAN/MAN/WAN/Security/Wireless and cloud-based networks. Supports day-to-day issues and maintains the enterprise Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Assumes primary responsibility for the implementation, maintenance, and modification of hardware application software to monitor and manage the data communications network.
- Evaluates new applications, determines their effect on the existing network infrastructure; recommends and may oversee any necessary network enhancements.
- Provides technical support and network engineering expertise to the implementation teams.
- Responsible for maintaining the security and integrity of the data communications network and works with vendor networking engineering staff to ensure optimal network security, stability, and performance.
- Helps manage contractors and consultants performing network related projects.
- Assists with setting standards, policies and procedures for the Health Systems data communications network.
- Has responsibility for the identification and resolution of hardware and software technical problems and malfunctions related to networks and security.
- Recommends and implements firewall policies.
- Performs periodic scans for security holes in the network.
- Functions as part of a team that provides 7x24 support for the applications and systems needed to maintain network security and integrity.
- Implements the technical architecture and recommendations related to networking and security.
- Promotes governance and compliance with security standards, policies and procedures as well as maintain the Health Systems network security infrastructure with respects to functionality, performance, scalability, process, and reliability.
- Participates or collaborates in policy creation, performing periodic security reviews of existing network infrastructure and drive the requirements and solution definition process for new CSHS network security infrastructure.
- Manages perimeter and network security, security monitoring, and security enforcement applications and/or systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an IT or engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience, required.
- CCNP Cisco Certified Network Professional, required.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), preferred
- Industry Certification in Security such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP) or above, preferred.
- 5-8 years of practical experience as a Network Engineer in a complex multi-platform, multi-protocol environment.
- Experience with Windows and UNIX workstation administration and networking configuration.
- Experience with implementation of security and network technologies --perform concept and testing to network security design and solutions, vulnerability and penetration testing, and threat mitigation.
- Experience with; wireless, Ethernet, Ethernet Switching, IP, IP assignment, NAC, VPN, remote access servers, security devices, firewalls, security protocols and IDS/IPS.
- A packet level understanding of switching and routing.
- Strong understanding of all aspects of LAN and WAN operation, routing, topology, network protocols, active network and point-to-point components, and various aspects of telephony, including, but not limited to: TCP/IP, IPX, routers, gateways, switches, firewalls, multiplexors, MetroE, T1/T3, ASE, MPLS, etc.
- Competent with mainstream office automation, project management, and communications tools.
- Strong project management and interpersonal skills; ability to deal effectively with diverse skill sets and personalities, provide strong team leadership, and work effectively as a team player.
- Ability to be highly organized with a demonstrated aptitude to prioritize workload, meet deadlines, manage several broad-scope projects at one time, and utilize time effectively for staff and self.
- Ability to execute all job responsibilities and assignments promptly, reliably, honestly, and ethically.
- Requires expertise in network monitoring, analysis, management, and configuration tools.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and best practices such as Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and California State Bill No. 1386.
- Hands on experience with network/security vendors such as Cisco, Palo Alto, Okta, DUO, SolarWinds, CA preferred.