Network Engineer, Associate
Job Duties and Responsibilities The Network Specialist will ensure that the LAN/WAN is capable of providing required services by supporting the network infrastructure through the use of troubleshooting and problem resolution in a production environment. Provides daily operational support for LAN/WAN networks, including firewalls. Plans, installs and supports hardware and software upgrades.
· The Network Specialist is required to resolve technical issues associated with network and routing protocols at all levels of the OSI model through the use of diagnostics and network administration tools such as Hewlett Packard (HP) OpenView, Cisco Works and Tivoli.
· An understanding of Management Information Blocks (MIB) and MRTG to measure, plan and execute methodologies to ensure high performance levels and minimum downtime.
· Responsible for maintaining LAN - WAN barrier systems to prevent unauthorized access to MTF systems. In order to meet these requirements, the Network Specialist must be familiar with Cisco firewalls, Cisco, Alcatel, Hewlett-Packard, Nortel and NetScreen VPN devices and IDSs.
Uses diagnostic utilities to identify and isolate problems encountered on different mediums and network protocols, gather latency statistics and find specific network bottlenecks, evaluate problems and implement fix actions through device reconfiguration or replacement depending on the circumstances.
· Clear understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, SHTTP, SMTP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP, EIGRP, OSPF, PPP, HDLC, V.35, RS-449
· Knowledge of the 803.2, 802.3, 802.5, 802.10, 802.11, 802.3u and 802.3z communications, EIA/TIA cable standards and Internet standards. Address issues related to synchronous and asynchronous communications, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, FDDI, ATM, ISDN, microwave and satellite communications. Required experience with various OTDR, cable testers, network sniffers.
· Possess experience in routed, switched and shared LAN environments that operate Novell Netware, Microsoft Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/ Active Directory, UNIX and OpenVMS and employ various routers switches, hubs and terminal servers as well as various local and long-haul ISDN,256 Kbps through Tl T3, satellite and ATM WAN connectivity that employs Codex and PairGain CSU/DSUs.
· Cisco CCNA Certification (current)
CompTia Security + CE (current)
Experience and skills shall include a range of assignments in technical tasks directly related to the proposed area of responsibility. Expertise in Windows networks, Cisco Systems and HP Openview desired. Has the following certifications aligned to site network architecture: Security+ and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or equivalent (ie, BCNE for Brocade, etc).
Qualifications Requires Bachelor’s degree (in Computer Science, Math or Engineering) or equivalent, and two to four years of related experience.
Degrees Equivalent Experience/Education
Years of Experience 02-04 years w/Bachelors Degree