Join an exciting team dedicated to providing networkinfrastructure and technology solutions to the Department of Defense (DoD) and other customers worldwide. The Network Designer works with a network engineering team to support special projects associated with the planning, installation, and upgrade of DLA communications networks. These special projects include network equipment refresh, new site deployments, and new service offering rollout. The Network Designer provides expert level support to engineers, project leadership, and customers throughout the project life-cycle. The Network Designer facilitates site surveys, network design, networkinfrastructure installation, post upgrade support, and emerging technology and requirements support for the DLA customer. This position works closely with the Lead Network Engineer, and the selected candidate may be required to travel to various DLA facilities/sites as requirements emerge. The selected candidate will apply expert level knowledge and experience to ensure that network designs and project work is consistent with industry best practices.
Primary duties include:
- Providing backup support as needed to the Network Operations Team in support of emerging requirements
- Designing, planning, establishing, and optimizing networks and enterprise networkarchitecture. Developing networkinfrastructures and make recommendations on systems enhancements for optimization.
- Leading and supervising teams.
- Providing technical assessment of requirements and definition from conception through implementation.
- Training and mentoring other engineers.
- Designing and validating link performance, quality and reliability.
- Using measuring and diagnostic tools to test and adjust equipment.
- Creating manuals and support documentation.
- Optimizing existing networks by adjusting network parameters, adding/deleting of neighbors and recommending possible solutions to hardware problems.
- Providing lessons learned and support for continuous improvement to include on-site/virtual engineering support of benchmarking, baselining, network-health checks, knowledge transfer, and key metric dashboards generated, along with newer technology review, and best practice recommendations.
- Performing project integration tasks including engineering/design, procurement, implementation and follow-on support of emerging requirements and technologies. These technologies include:
- Data Center
- Software Defined Networking
- Industrial Control Systems
- General LAN "First/last mile" commodities and services
- Generating as-built drawings or other applicable CM documents for all devices, applications, and activities associated with project work.
- Participating in senior leadership meetings.
- Developing and maintaining an Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) detailing design, implementation, and status of the effort.
- Performing work in accordance with operational and organizational concepts based on industry best practices and methodologies.
- Providing management and engineering planning and analysis.
- Providing technical support engineering.
- Providing security and accreditation documentation for new solutions.
- Providing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) documentation for new solutions.
- Providing an infrastructure Design Plan to include a Bill of Materials of recommended equipment and software.
- Providing an Implementation and Design Document to include site specific design details.
- 3 years of experience in wireless and network communications industry.
- The selected candidate must demonstrate:
- Expert level experience in LANtechnologies (switches, routers, wireless and firewalls) including centralized monitoring and management in large-scale, high-availability environments.
- Expert level experience in large scale LAN/WAN switching environments.
- Expert level capability in TCP/IP fundamentals.
- Expert level experience with Routing.
- Network survey/deployment/support experience.
- Physical infrastructureexperience.
- Strong project leadership and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of computer hardware/software fundamentals, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Visio.
- Tracking Code 1517-677