Network Chairman of Surgery – Western Connecticut Health Network, Danbury, CT
Western Connecticut Health Network has an outstanding opportunity for a Network Chairman of Surgery over its three hospital system, including Danbury, New Milford, and Norwalk Hospitals. Position will be based at Danbury Hospital, located in Danbury, CT, about 70 miles northeast of New York City. This is an exciting new endowed chairmanship, the Carmen and Peter Buck Endowed Chairmanship of Surgery. This position will allow for further growth and development among our surgical services across the network. Sections reporting to the Chair include Bariatrics, Breast, Cardiothoracic, ENT, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Plastics, Trauma, Urology, and Vascular and as well as our Surgical Residency Program and Surgical Physician Assistant Services. Position will be a combination of administrative and clinical responsibilities, with a focus on quality, safety, education, strategic planning/network strategy and operational oversight at Danbury and New Milford Hospitals.
The Western Connecticut Health Network Chairman of Surgery provides clinical and strategic leadership for all components of the Department of Surgery and ensures the highest standard of excellence in the care and safety of all surgical patients. The Chairman also shares responsibility for the supervision and direction of the day to day operations of the department and the operating rooms. The Chairman will work withnetwork administration to set the strategic vision for surgical services. The Chairman also sets performance targets for the areas of responsibility and manages the performance of the staff in meeting those targets. On the Danbury/New Milford campus, the Chairman has direct responsibility for the Department of Surgery. On the Norwalk campus, this responsibility is indirect and is managed through the Chairman of Surgery at Norwalk Hospital. This position reports to the Network VP of Medical Affairs.
The ideal candidate will have a strong clinical background and at least seven years of leadership experience, including strategy and program development as well as population health responsibilities. Experience in an academic setting is a plus. This is an employed position with a highly competitive compensation package, including relocation allowance.
Established in 1885, Danbury Hospital is a not-for-profit community hospital providing Greater Danbury area residents convenient access to exceptional care. Danbury Hospital has 371 beds and is a Level II Trauma Center with approximately 70,000 ED visits per year. Norwalk Hospital has 366 beds and is also a Level II Trauma Center with approximately 50,000 ED visits per year. Both Danbury and Norwalk are teaching hospitals, associated with the University of Vermont College of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, Ross University School of Medicine and New York Medical College. New Milford Hospital has 85 beds and about 20,000 ED visits per year. Western Connecticut Medical Group, also part of the Network, includes 400+ physicians and 140+ advanced practice providers, serving a geographically broad region throughout Western Connecticut and eastern New York with over 70 outpatient practice locations.
Danbury, Connecticut, located in Fairfield County, is about 70 miles northeast of New York City and 60 miles west of Hartford, CT. As part of the greater NY metropolitan area, the city of Danbury enjoys both proximity to New York City culture and access to a wide array of outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, fishing and boating in state and regional parks and preserves. Danbury is home to Western Connecticut State University as well as a number of historical sites, museums, theaters and art galleries. Surrounded by a number of quaint towns with scenic rolling hills, the area offers a variety of excellent housing and school options. Boston, New York City, New Haven and Hartford are easily accessible via train, car, or bus.
This position requires a minimum formal education of MD or DO and a minimum of seven years of job related experience, preferably in a leadership position. License, Registration, Certification Requirements: The physician must be licensed to practice in the State CT and meet all requirements for membership on the Medical Staff of both Danbury and Norwalk Hospitals. The physician must be board certified in General Surgery and/or one of the surgical subspecialties. The Chairman must remain satisfactory to the Network in the performance of his/her administrative and clinical duties as per agreement.
1. Clinical activity is required in order to maintain a strong working knowledge of surgical advances, an understanding of the nuances of performing surgery at the WCHN facilities and an affinity with all surgical staff.
2. The Chairman oversees directly or in partnership: inpatient surgery, ambulatory surgery and the trauma service.
3. The Chairman will maintain partnership will all members of the Department, other departments, the community and the network administration in order to provide excellent service for surgical patients. The Chairman must ensure thorough communication of all strategies, initiatives and policy changes to all members of the Department of Surgery.
4. This physician chairs the monthly Department of Surgery Business meetings and Section Chiefs' meetings as well as providing leadership at Medical Executive committee meetings, Operational Excellence meetings and the Chairmen's meetings.
5. The Chairman is responsible for ensuring that the members of the department are qualified to perform the services that they are credentialed for by reviewing and vetting all initial applicants for membership on the Medical Staff in the Department of Surgery and making appropriate recommendations to the Credentials Committee. The Chairman also oversees all recredentialing, initial FPPEs, OPPEs and vets all requests for new or additional privileges in the Department of Surgery. The Chairman also updates the delineation of privileges forms for the department as needed.
6. The Chairman will periodically review, update, adopt and enforce all policies, guidelines, rules and regulations for the Department.
7. The Chairman is responsible for maintaining excellent quality outcomes in the Department. This is accomplished through leadership and participation in the Peer Review Process, the Quality Improvement process, the Performance Improvement process and membership in all of the appropriate committees needed to achieve the goal of excellent patient care and satisfaction.
8. The Chairman prepares the areas of responsibility in a manner that promotes safety for the patients and the staff and is in compliance with all regulatory requirements including but not limited to those of the Joint Commission and the CT State Department of Health.
9. The Chairman is also responsible, either directly or indirectly through a surrogate, for medical education matters including medical student rotations, surgical residency programs, and education of the associate medical staff and continuing medical education activities for the departmental members.
10. The Chairman may participate in clinical research as time and interest dictate but is a champion for research in the Department of Surgery.
11. The Chairman will assess all surgical programs and identify areas for improvement or areas for growth and expansion. The Chairman will work with the administration to implement those programs that align with the strategic plan of the network.
12. The Chairman will help recruit and retain excellent medical staff members.
13. The Chairman will work with the Chairman of Anesthesia and the Director of Nursing to provide excellent operating rooms that are efficient, safe and satisfactory to the patients, medical staff and support staff.
14. The Chairman will work with the VP of Medical Affairs to standardize surgical care across the network and to ensure that the care rendered is safe, contemporary and cost effective.
15. The Chairman provides leadership, guidance and analysis of data in working as a team to fulfill Network goals and to serve the patients of our region.
16. The Chairman will promote a positive work environment, partnering with the executive staff to respond to issues identified by the staff.
17. The Chairman, in conjunction with operations staff, prepares and reviews revenue projections, capital, and operating and expenditure budgets for the Department of Surgery.
18. The Chairman partners with the Western Connecticut Medical Group in areas of Quality and Performance.
19. The Chairman also ensures compliance with the professional code of conduct, HR policies, regulatory agency policies, coding and billing requirements, the patient's bill of rights, HIPAA regulations and all Network policies related to compliance.
20. The Chairman assists the Development Foundation as needed.
21. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
22. Performs other duties as assigned.