For this position, we'll consider candidates who are willing to work in the Eastern (9:00-18:00 ET) Time Zone.Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You will be working on developing, building and maintaining VMware's internal network automation infrastructure. Instead of investing time in managing the enterprise network directly, you'll have the chance to help us build the "robots" that will do this for us, and enable our Network Operations peers to deliver their work faster and more easily - at enterprise scale.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
• A technological enthusiast who understands that nearly any IT function can be expressed as software.
• You'll have the opportunity to translate your network expertise into a software based (IaaC) automation infrastructure in a work environment built on agile processes.
• We have a large, dynamic, heterogenous network ecosystem. You'll have the opportunity and responsibility to learn and interact with many technologies.
• You will collaborate with us to design and build complex network infrastructures and the pipelines to test them.
• You'll help to define network standards for logical and physical designs.
• Collaborating with numerous teams and groups across VMware to help in developing and fostering out enterprise automation ecosystem.
• You'll have the opportunity to partner with your whole team to help develop not just the products we deliver, but the processes we use to deliver them.What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
Working with the entire IDEA team, you will:
• Build out our automation infrastructure (SaltStack as well as custom components) in development, staging and production environments
• Design and develop techniques for validating and testing automation outcomes.
• Run production POCs and Pilots of both the automation infrastructure and new technologies as we move towards a production release.What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
• You'll help define, organize and prioritize work in the context of developing our enterprise automation ecosystem. • Pair (or trio, or more) with your colleagues to deliver work, and work very closely with the whole team. We have weekly planning sessions, daily standups and regular retrospectives.
• You'll configure devices and complex network setups in our testbeds
• You'll write code in one or more languages to represent those configurations.
• You'll interact with physical devices, deploy VMs and regularly work on Cisco, Linux, Palo Alto Networks, Aruba just to name a few.
• You'll interact with multiple physical and virtual infrastructures, which may include vSphere, AWS, GCP, Azure or others.
• We work with a multitude of products and tools, including (in no particular order) git, Python, Ruby Chef, Salt, Airflow, Infoblox, Netbox, 802.1X, Batfish, EveNG, GNS3.
• You'll explore new technologies, try out new tools and always look for ways to improve our products.What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
• The hiring manager for this role is a Sr Manager with over 20 years of advanced network engineering experience. They've been at VMware for 6 years, managing the "Advanced Services" team, which is now a part of IDEA.
• The larger team is called "IDEA (Infrastructure Development, Engineering and Automation). We are currently a group of 11 people comprised of a couple managers and 9 network, automation and infrastructure engineers.
• We are diverse, inclusive and distributed from Japan to California to Ireland and we work closely together every day (Slack and Zoom FTW!).
In this role you will report to Bryan Hope, Director of Unified Communications & Collaboration. Bryan is a momentum-building leader focused on transformational programs in the software and high-tech industries. Bryan encourages and enable others to tackle tough challenges thought to be impossible, while providing a platform for emerging leaders to rise up and shine. Fostering innovation and disruption, Bryan leverages technology to accelerate achievement of business and social outcomes. Every day Bryan seeks to incubate and work with like-minded champions to increase equality for all at VMware and beyond.
You and your loved ones will be supported with acompetitive and comprehensivebenefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits packageby visitinghttp://benefits.vmware.com
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage,Retirement, and Parental LeavePlans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40hours of paidtime to volunteerin your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributionsto your ongoing development(conference participation,trainings,course work, etc.)
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
Engineering and TechnologySubcategory: Network EngineeringExperience:
Manager and ProfessionalFull Time/ Part Time:
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.