Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains smooth operation of local area, world wide and virtual private networks (VPN).
- Plans, evaluates, and coordinates installation and/or reconfiguration of hardware and software elements of data and/or voice communication network.
- Maintains technical expertise in all areas of networks and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, multiplexers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc.
- May propose solutions to management to ensure all communications requirements based on future needs and current usage, configuring such solutions to optimize cost savings.
- Prepares or ensures that appropriate network documentation exists, including operational instructions.
- Provides regular monitoring and network analysis regarding short- and long-range planning for in-house systems.
- May coordinate third-party maintenance for network equipment.
- May design network or portion of network that include selection of hardware and software packages.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field.
- General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of complex difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Available for 24/7 support when needed.
The successful applicant will demonstrate the ability to work in a team environment with engineering users, other network administrators, system administrators and computer/facility organizations. Multi-tasking with good communication skills; both verbal and written are a must.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of related experience or 9 years of related experience in lieu of a completed degree.
- Active Secret Clearance with ability to obtain Top Secret Clearance, in scope background investigation.
- DoD 8570 training and certifications (CISCO and Security+ certification).
- Strong Knowledge of TCP/IP.
- Strong knowledge of LAN concepts such as VLANs, trunking (port tagging) and spanning-tree.
- Strong knowledge of WAN technologies such as EIGRP, BGP, and telco circuits (T1, T3, OC3).
- IP addressing design and subnets.
- Experience using test equipment such as protocol analyzers and cable test sets.
- Knowledge of government grade encryption gear such as (TACLANES).
- Knowledge of Cisco hardware.
- Knowledge of classified network design is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Willingness to work after hours and weekends as required.
- Occasional travel may be required.