The NCTE Senior Event Engineer is a member of the Navy Continuous Training Environment (NCTE) Mission Engineering Division (MED) staff in support of Live, Virtual, and Constructive training (LVCt) events, the Navy Training Baseline (NTB), and the NCTE. The NCTE Senior Event Engineer performs NCTE engineering leadership functions, engineering, and other project activities in order to sustain LVCt products and integrated capability within the NCTE.
Duties and Responsibilities
The NCTE Senior Event Engineer has the following duties and responsibilities:
- As a member of the MED event engineering staff, the Senior Event Engineer provides oversight and leadership of various event engineering roles, processes, and functions in support of planning and execution of LVCt events.
- Provides technical and administrative leadership to other NCTE LVCt engineers on site. Provides technical training and ensures core NCTE engineering principals and processes are understood and followed by other site engineers.
- Serves as an engineering technical lead (ETL) for NCTE LVCt events. In this role, the ETL collaborates with the NCTE Event Lead for the training event mission requirements and liaisons with the entire engineering department to ensure these event requirements are met.
- Collaborates with engineering division leads to build integrated project teams (IPTs) and manning plans to support NCTE LVCt events.
- Leads integrated project teams to design architectures that support specific training event requirements. Documents these architectures using established diagram standards - e.g. Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF) SV-1 and SV-2
- Ensures NCTE Technical Architecture, Configuration and Standards (NTACS) are understood and used by site engineers during setup and execution of LVCt events. Inputs quality improvement ideas for NTACS to the Integrated Systems Division.
- Monitors the health and status of training events during execution and directs activities of the integrated project team to address any technical issues.
- Troubleshoots LVCt system related issues and ensures training event system interfaces are configured in accordance with documented interface standards found in NTACS.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline plus 10 to 12 years of directly related experience is required.
In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 15 years applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience. Experience working with Navy systems and/or commands desirable but not mandatory.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Should possess a thorough understanding of Linux and Windows operating systems and be able to use advanced capabilities of these systems
- Networking concepts, architectures, and transport technologies like TCP/IP
- Ability to utilize network and distributed modeling & simulation tools such as Wireshark, SolarWinds, PLEXSYS, and SIMDIS
- Expert knowledge of Navy Training Baseline (NTB) applications - their setups and configurations: Joint Semi-Automated Forces (JSAF), JBUS, Watch Tower, Houston, Nexus, etc.
- Knowledge of Distributed Simulation protocols such as High Level Architecture (HLA) and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)
- Familiarization with HLA Federation Object Model (FOM) architecture and/or Object Oriented Design (OOD) concepts and techniques
- Knowledge of Navy C4I tactical systems such as Link 16 and GCCS
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot distributed simulation problems and provide acceptable solutions or corrections
- Ability to provide technical project leadership, establish milestones, estimate resources, and other project management skills
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- CompTIA Security + and Linux+ certifications are required for the position and special consideration may be given for candidates with these certifications. If candidate does not already possess these certifications, training and certification exam will be provided for the right candidate.