The Naval Architect will drive the development, engineering, implementation, validation & documentation of production ready naval architecture systems for new product development programs within the Large Boat Category of the Sea Ray. The position is based out of the Product Development & Engineering facility in Merritt Island, Florida.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the development & validation of naval architecture systems & components in support of project scope, timing & cost objectives per established engineering practices & industry regulations. Systems and components will include but not be limited to hull form, performance predictions, hull proportions, weight estimates, bilge, tankage & general arrangement development, stability analysis, fuel, exhaust, steering, inboard diesel, gas, shafted, POD & stern drive propulsion applications.
- Create, manage and maintain CAD models, bill of materials & drawing documentation for responsible systems.
- Communicate risks to project schedule, cost & scope for responsible systems & components.
- Applies product knowledge, education & experience to actively identify and resolve project challenges.
- Applies engineering best practices, vendor specifications and industry regulations including ABYC, NMMA, ISO, CE to develop & validate production ready systems and components.
- Performs validation performance runs of new models
- Communicates with cross functional departments including design, engineering, manufacturing and vendors and appliesdesign intent, engineering specifications, program objectives & manufacturing input to system & component design, layout & documentation.
- Design, document, order & inspect new & current parts to support prototype assembly & manufacturing integration.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with project stakeholders including representatives from prototype assembly, design, engineering, vendor, tooling & manufacturing.
- Coordinate efforts with suppliers to develop and implement new components and systems within design requirements, timing and budget constraints.
- Develop validation plans and coordinate with test lab for the evaluation of components and systems. Test, validates, and oversees supplier interaction of systems & components.
- Monitors fabrication and installation activities of prototype components to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design intent.
- Evaluates field installations and recommends design modifications to eliminate future problems.
- Support production facilities with failure analysis and resolution when warranty or quality issues are identified.
- Facilitate reviews and area buy offs per project scope, timing & cost objectives.
- Provide troubleshooting and support to prototype assembly and manufacturing integration.
- Promote teamwork and excellence within the project team while achieving company goals objectives.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Skills & Experience you'll bring to our team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, or related field required.
- Must be proficient with Rhino, Unigraphics NX or similar 3D modeling software.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (including MS Word, MS Excel)
- Previous naval architectureexperience highly preferred.
- Previous recreational yacht designexperience highly preferred.
- Experience with ABYC, ISO CE standards preferred.
- Graduate Degree a plus
- Engineering Intern or Professional Engineering certifications a plus
- Possesses a high sense of urgency and maintains a positive attitude.
- Must be a skilled listener, mediator and negotiator while accomplishing goals and protecting interests.
- Must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to effectively communicate cross-functionally.