Why join us?
We are hiring! National Water Infrastructure Technical Director an integral part of our Water leadership team in the US, informing the overall direction of the Water Practice and leading the technical strategy for the Water Infrastructure practice. You will lead a diverse and talented group of professionals, delivering technically challenging projects through innovative design solutions and drive the continued advancement of our digital transformation. This position is could be based in any of the Atkins Hub offices.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Oversees the operations of the Water Infrastructure technical discipline within the Water Practice housed in the company’s Technical Professional Organization (TPO). Coordinates the allocation of personnel to staff projects and pursuits.
- Supports the Practice Director in creating plans to develop and grow centers of excellence within the Water Infrastructure technical practice.
- Works with the Practice Director and TPO Operations Director to identify staffing needs and engages HR support to assist in the recruitment and selection of additional staff. Supervises technical managers and senior technical professionals and provides direction on employee development activities and shared goals throughout the technical discipline.
- Responsible for driving a culture of technical excellence throughout the Water Infrastructure practice by providing opportunities for growth and development of technical staff and ensuring sound quality control and safety procedures are employed by all staff.
- Acts as lead technical representative for company’s engagement in relevant industry organizations.
- Serves as Practice leadership representative in the Water Thought Leadership program, driving innovation and collaboration in water infrastructure, including leading by example through active engagement in professional organizations.
- May act as Key Account Manager or Technical Advisor for key or strategic clients, to include top tier and major municipal water agencies and authorities.
- Ensures compliance to company policy, process, and quality control and safety procedures as directed by the Practice Director.
- Serve as Project Manager or Subject Matter Expert (SME) in leading or advising on the technical delivery of key project assignments. Serves as SME in area(s) of expertise throughout the technical practice.
- As Senior Project Manager, effectively manage the delivery of assigned projects, often large, multi-discipline and technically complex, adhering to scope, schedule, quality and budget, as agreed with clients and business partners, as well as oversee other Water Infrastructure PM’s in geography to do the same. Areas of technical focus may include: Water: transmission/distribution, booster stations, storage/reservoirs, planning, and treatment; Wastewater: collection/conveyance, lift stations, planning, and treatment; and Reclaim/Reuse: distribution, treatment, and planning.
- With Business Unit (BU) Managers, Technical Managers, and Project Managers, identifies current and future staffing availability based on technical and budgetary requirements of future workload and manpower projections.
- Reviews manager recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer or terminate staff. Reviews and approves/rejects recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates as well as salary and position adjustment actions for staff.
- Recommends personnel actions for direct reports. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports.
- Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development.
- Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and operating unit objectives/needs.
- Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of project schedules, budgets, key milestone dates and work products.
- Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the operating unit. Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects. Assists staff in resolving problems concerning work with the various business units.
- Maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same.
- Works with Practice Director and other senior leadership to design and implement development tracks for technical staff, with a focus on building technical excellence at all levels of the organization.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor's degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering. Post graduate degrees preferred. This level may be achieved by technical professionals or technical managers with 20+ years of experience since B.S., with at least three of these years in a senior operating management position.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to manage large scope operations and provide leadership to multiple levels of management.
- Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to staff, clients, and the community in general
- Professional registration is required.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program.