The position is responsible for the staffing and management of sales activities designed to profitably increase market share and meet Company financial goals. Serves as a “sales champion” to advocate and implement sales methodologies, strategies, and “best practices” with three areas of emphasis.
1. Obtain new profitable business (new to Company)
2. Expand sales received from existing customers; deepen & broaden relationships; and,
3. Ensure retention of profitable clients
Major areas of accountability include developing sales and business development plans; sharing “best practices”, developing, coaching, and managing sales staff, measuring and quantifying results of sales initiatives, overseeing and evaluating performance of sales resources, and directing territory and account management activities.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs and participates in the development and execution of both short and long-range sales plans.
- Serves as sales leader through implementation and support of sales strategies.
- Responsible for the identification, development, and ongoing coaching and management of sales staff.
- Ensure 100% attainment to Territory Target Goals
- Manage - > 1M Quote Conversion Ratio is > 80%
- Provides ongoing assessment of sales performance measured against performance standards and expectations; provides timely and specific feedback and support of sales management practices.
- Review status of quotes on a weekly basis.
- Works to identify and develop new customer relationships and further penetrate/expand existing customer relationships.
- Collaborates with regional managers to realize sales strategies and initiatives aligned with business goals.
- Visits existing and prospective customers to assist sales managers in developing and/or expanding client relationships. Participates in regional sales and marketing prospect meetings.
- Oversee the Quote to Order process while ensuring that the product and systems checklist is fully completed and up to date.
- Provides recommendations and analysis to support the development of appropriate pricing policies.
- Responsible for gathering market intelligence to ensure that the President is kept apprised of competitor offerings, pricing, distributionchannels, market trends, etc.
- Reviews sales reports, monitors all sales-related expenses (i.e., cost of sales, margins, etc.), analyzes variances from budget or other relevant plans, and initiates corrective action, as needed/appropriate.
- Participates in the review, design and implementation of incentive compensation programs.
- Create solutions to RFP compliance
- Participates in industry associations and conferences.
- Develops sales forecasts for the business (monthly, quarterly and annually) by analyzing and interpreting general economic and market trends, competitor activity, and company sales efforts.
- Develops and actively monitors the “pipeline” of sales activity for new business.
- Monitors performance of existing account relationships.
- Assists with special projects (as needed) to support sales initiatives.
- Manage relationships with Transit CEO’s – APTA members and consultants
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, train, coach, and lead a diverse and multi-functional staff in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- History of successful sales experience in building relationships with new and existing customers.
- Proven effectiveness in the use of professional sales methodologies and systems.
- An understanding of customer relationship management and cross-selling techniques will be important.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and possess interpersonal skills necessary to successfully collaborate with others to achieve business goals.
- Ability to quickly analyze rapidly changing circumstances and to provide sound strategic and tactical sales advice.
- Analytical abilities sufficient to systematically appraise and verify the effectiveness of sales and marketing programs, and business partner relationships.
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make effective presentations to diverse audiences – management and employees – both internally and externally.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Require Education / Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or a related field. Ten plus years of progressive sales management experience in a large public company with multiple services or product lines, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. North American Public Transit or related industry experience would be helpful.
- Professional sales and/or marketing management experience demonstrating a track record of success in building and growing a business will be considered from a variety of industries.
- MBA Degreepreferred, but not essential.