Job ID 18034
What you would do in this job:
- Provide leadership and direction to IDG sales managers and brokerage managers in pursuit of new Brokerage General Agency (BGA) relationships and enhanced productivity of existing BGA relationships
Inspire sales managers and brokerage managers to achieve their individual sales objectives.
Lead the recruitment and training of new sales managers and brokerage managers
Utilize existing relationships and all other means to identify BGAs who have not yet contracted with Minnesota Life. Prioritize those opportunities and develop action plans to address.
Use expert knowledge of products, competition, sales concepts and marketing systems to create excitement and energy about the innovations in the company’s product portfolio and capabilities that lead to our excellent competitive standing in the industry.
Inspire confidence with the leaders of potential distribution partners through in-person presentations and other means.
Drive the development and execution of strategic plans for sales growth from BGAs, particularly those BGAs which rank outside of our top 20.
Engage and provide support to the Securian firms who do not have full-time brokerage managers but who are willing to invest time and resource to grow their IDG business.
Drive the consistent development and promotion of competitive positioning material (i.e., sales ideas, product strengths, company strengths, presentations).
Ensure that all visits by home office personnel to BGA offices and conferences (and vice versa) are highly effective and strengthen the business relationship.
Direct the enhancement of agency management capabilities for sales managers and brokerage managers.
Keep senior management informed of opportunities and risks associated with our BGA distribution strategies. Recommends appropriate plans of action to take advantage of the opportunities and address the risks.
Consult with the life manufacturer and other home office departments regarding platform requirements necessary to expand and effectively manage the IDG business.
Develop effective relationships with the life manufacturing leadership team and other key personnel which enables the appropriate strategic and tactical decisions to be made.
Identify and share relationship driven opportunities which require enhancements to our IDG platform.
Identify threats/risks to ongoing IDG success and what enhancements are required to prevent those threats/risks from emerging.
Oversee the resolution of strategic issues which arise regularly from Brokerage Managers and BGAs
Identify strategic opportunities and threats related to BGA distribution
Ensure policies and procedures are kept up to date and manage compliance of brokers and BGAs to these requirements.
Partner with legal and compliance in the supervision and discipline of BGAs and Brokers. Terminate Broker and BGA contracts as issues and needs dictate.
Lead the IDG sales managers to:
- Advocate, when appropriate, with the medical underwriters on behalf of the brokerage managers regarding cases where the client or competition dictate a particular decision is needed.
- Ensure that broker and BGA/IMO compensation issues are handled in an urgent and sensitive manner.
- Direct the development of specific, innovative and effective solutions for brokers and general agencies working on significant cases; work with Advanced Marketing counsel to apply advanced marketing approaches or other creative solutions to more complex cases regarding our Life products.
- Respond promptly to competitor marketing and/or commentary which places the company or our products in a less than favorable light.
- Performs related activities as directed, and manages personal self-development to prepare for new responsibilities and challenges in a changing environment.
What we'd expect from you:
- Expert understanding of industry developments that can contribute to the success of IDG and the individual life product line
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to establish favorable relations with distribution partners and home office departments to address a variety of problems and issues.
- Excellent understanding of individual life products, especially universal life, indexed life, variable life and second-to-die products.
- Thorough knowledge of advanced sales concepts and applications.
- High degree of self-starting initiative and independence.
- Ability to think constructively and reduce concepts into workable systems and procedures.
- Ability to Travel 25% of the time.
Preferred skills for this job:
- Successful track record in the life insurance industry
- Existing relationships with leading BGA partners.
- Prior experience managing life insurance sales or wholesaling personnel.
- Completion of a four year degree program
What you could expect from us:
Appreciating diversity and the unique contributions of each associate, Securian fosters a workplace where people can develop and reach their potential. The Company offers opportunities for long-term, career growth in a wide range of fields.
We encourage associates to prepare for future responsibilities and career success by pursuing professional and educational opportunities, and offer an extensive on-campus curriculum of industry programs and customized courses through our Training and Development department.
Providing a family-friendly workplace, we encourage associates to maintain a balance between work and personal activities, and offer a variety of life balance programs and benefits. We understand there's more to life than work.
We also contribute to the health and vitality of the communities where we live and work through our tradition of volunteerism and philanthropy.
The advantages we offer - opportunities for advancement, a positive and flexible work environment, a comprehensive and valuable benefits package, and a commitment to our community - result in an excellent associate retention level.
Physical job requirements:
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse and computer for up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to utilize telephone for approximately 1-4 hours per day
- Ability to meet the physical demands of travel
The physical job requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal employment opportunity:
Securian Financial Group, Inc. considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, or Veteran status. All applicants will be considered solely on the basis of their qualifications.
Department: Independent Distribution Group (IDG)