National Director, Planned Giving
11 - 15 years experience • Non-Profit
NATIONAL DIRECTOR, PLANNED GIVING
Top Must Haves for the Ideal Candidate:
1. At least ten years of development experience with a minimum of five years of successful experience in a donor facing planned giving role.
2. Successful experience in building and leading a major initiative.
3. Gravitas, the ability to command attention, persuade others, and develop relationships across the organization and with planned giving prospects.
4. Demonstrated ability to think boldly and creatively, take risks, and implement new ways of identifying, reaching, and securing new planned gifts.
The National Director, Planned Giving is a highly experienced successful planned giving professional and a persuasive and determined advocate, leader, and coach.
• Develop and implement a data driven planned giving strategy: Assume lead responsibility for strategy development and implementation.
• Assure internal support for a new planned giving initiative: Educate, enlighten, and inspire the development team, major gift team and other partners about the importance of planned giving and how they are positioned to support the effort.
• Assure external support for the planned giving initiative: Assume primary responsibility for developing and implementing the external marketing plan.
• Lead the planned giving team: Align the planned giving team behind the new strategy and provide the leadership, teaching, training, and coaching needed for the entire team to implement the strategy and achieve its goals.
• Provide support to the national major gifts fundraising team: Build the team’s proficiency through:
o Teaching and training on types of planned gifts, best practices, and solicitation approaches
o Serving as the planned giving resource for all major gift fundraisers, providing solicitation strategies and accompanying major gift fundraisers on donor visits as needed.
o Assisting major gift officers to identify planned giving potential within their portfolios and preparing blended gift proposals.
• Develop a personal portfolio: Identify and solicit a select portfolio of planned giving prospects.
• Oversee the management of the 1000+ donors in planned giving’s “Group Management’ portfolios.
• Assume oversight of active estate/trust gifts: Oversee approximately 250 files annually to ensure the organization receives its full entitlement.
A meaningful compensation package will be developed for the successful candidate that includes a base salary, along with performance-based bonus.