Industry: Professional, Scientific & Technical Services•
11 - 15 years
Posted 75 days ago
HNTB is a leading provider of planning, design and program management services for transportation development programs nationwide. The firm is implementing a strategic growth plan across select geographies and market sectors. The aviation market sector is an essential part of our national strategic plan to grow the firm. HNTB has been a major player in the aviation industry in the U.S. for over 70 years, with an impressive portfolio of projects and clients nationwide. We are in the process of recruiting a number of key positions in the aviation market, including a National Aviation Planning Practice Leader.
Nationally/regionally recognized as a key technical expert within area of specialty.
The National Aviation Planning Practice Leader will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of the firm’s strategies for HNTB’s profitable growth within the aviation planning market. The position is enterprise-wide and will involve coordination with HNTB staff and clients across the U.S. This would include coordination across HNTB’s 6 regional divisions: West, Central, Great Lakes, Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
HNTB’s goals are to significantly grow aviation revenue and earnings, continue to be an industry leader in professional services for airports and aviation clients, and to be a thought leader and advocate for air transportation as the industry evolves into the future. The firm has 6 key aviation practice areas: aviation planning, environmental, engineering design, architectural design, airport systems and program management/construction management. It is HNTB’s organization model to have a designated practice leader for each of these technical practice areas. The National Aviation Planning Practice Leader will be that person for the Aviation Planning practice area. The position will report to the National Aviation Market Sector Leader who is responsible for developing strategy, facilitating business development and supporting project delivery across all divisions and aviation practice areas.
As part of the National Aviation Market Sector Team, the National Aviation Planning Practice Leader will work with the HNTB National Aviation Market Sector Leader, HNTB Division Management, the other aviation practice leaders and staff across the firm’s network to increase the firm’s business in Aviation Planning and to facilitate the exceptional delivery of aviation planning projects and other aviation projects to our clients.
Specific responsibilities include:
Airport Planning Technical Expertise– The ideal candidate should be a recognized industry leader with extensive and broad knowledge of the Airport Planning process. This would include knowledge of all aspects of airport facilities including terminals, landside access, forecasting, airfield, tenant facilities, cargo, NAVAIDs and airspace. Comprehensive Planning: experience in managing or directing Airport Master Plan studies and Terminal, Landside, Airside or Utility Systems planning studies for large and mid-hub airports is essential. Technical expertise and understanding of the key aspects of the planning process is important including forecasting, demand/capacity analysis, alternatives analysis, simulation modeling (e.g. SIMMOD, TAAM, AirTopSoft), AGIS, eALP, SMS, financial analysis, ALP development and Next-Gen. Knowledge and experience should also should include a thorough understanding of development impacts in terms of on-airport environmental/natural resource protections and off-airport land use compatibility, and experience in public involvement and coordination. Understanding of on-airport non-aviation commercial development is a plus. Project planning and pre-design programming: experience and skill in advancing broad concepts into buildable design-ready ideas through project-specific studies is strongly desired. Experience should involve leading various stakeholders and a multi-discipline engineering and architectural team through project scoping and programming.
Airport and Airline Client Expertise and Perspectives– Experience in coordination with, and understanding of the perspectives of, key airport and airline stakeholders is essential. This includes being able to perceive and balance facility planning with other client needs related to business development and market strategies, revenue development, financial constraints, legal obligations, political pressures, and internal organizational structure. Relationships and experience with key stakeholders such as fixed-base operators, concessionaires, non-aviation commercial tenants, local governments, and agencies such as the FAA, CBP and TSA is also important.
Project Delivery: This position would include providing management and leadership support to major airport planning projects. During project delivery, the position may involve project leadership and QA/QC. This may include serving as a Project Director, Sr. Technical Advisor or as Project Manager.
Strategic Planning and Implementation– Under direction of the National Aviation Market Sector Leader, this position will assist in the development and implementation of the strategic plan for the aviation planning market in the U.S. based on industry involvement, client contact, and interaction with HNTB client service leaders and project managers. This would include:
• Maintaining knowledge of national aviation and local airport markets.
• Identifying trends and future opportunities.
• Identifying and proposing additional resources and organizational strategies to capitalize on identified opportunities.
• Developing and implementing a strategic plan for aviation planning.
Industry Representation -Assist in representing HNTB with the FAA, leading aviation industry organizations, (e.g. AAAE, ACI-NA, ACC), and applicable state /regional associations. Coordinate the involvement of HNTB colleagues in such organizations and associations. Collaborate with HNTB Corporate Communications and the National Aviation Market Sector Leader to develop and implement aviation planning communications programs and branding campaigns.
Marketing and Business Development– includes activities such as assisting in relationship development with key clients, identification of specific project opportunities, positioning for targeted identified pursuits, supporting preparation of proposals and assisting with pursuit-related interviews. Post award, the Aviation Practice Leader may be involved in contract/scope negotiations and work plan development. The candidate would be expected to:
• Develop and maintain trusted adviser relationships with key airport and aviation clients in the region.
• Proactively identify programs to help address the issues of and advance the programs of specific, targeted states and clients.
• Work with the National Aviation Market Sector Leader, HNTB client service teams, local offices, and divisions in the development of targeted client service action plans.
• Participate in strategic positioning for major aviation and airport project opportunities.
• Identify staffing needs for the development and delivery of aviation services.
• Participate in recruiting key staff; Coordinate the deployment of key aviation practice resources on opportunities, pursuits, and projects.
Position and Reporting Structure:
• This position is as an Associate Vice President level reporting to the National Aviation Market Sector Leader.
• The position would involve coordinating HNTB’s network of airport planning specialists nationwide to support business development, project pursuits and project delivery.
• Location is generally flexible in the U.S. Lower 48. Preference is alocationin a city with an HNTB office and proximity to a mid or large hub airport.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Planning
- Bachelor’s degree in Airport Planning/Management, Civil Engineering, Architecture, or other applicable degree. Certification desired (PE, AIA, AICP or similar), but not required. Advanced degree beneficial, but not required.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in airport planning with an emphasis on project management, business development and industry representation.
- The position will require a moderate amount of travel in the U.S. in order to coordinate with HNTB staff, HNTB clients, and participate in industry events. Little or no international travel is anticipated.
Job ID 1018-19762