The Hartford's Group Benefits segment is a market leader in life and disability insurance and an expanding suite of voluntary products and services, providing businesses with the employee benefits solutions necessary to attract and retain top talent. The Hartford sets the standard for helping individuals reclaim their lives in the face of disability or personal crisis.
The Hartford has been a proud sponsor of athletes with disabilities since 1994, becoming a founding partner of U.S. Paralympics, a division of the U.S. Olympic Committee, in 2003.
- Responsible for the overall management of Group Life & Disability underwriting (5,000 or more lives) for National Accounts. Includes all pre-sale underwriting, profit management, policy issue and changes for assigned business segment.
- Demonstrates a solid, consistent technical proficiency of underwriting guidelines and underlying risk management philosophy
- Establishes solid relationships with all internal and external business partners
- Actively drives and participates in an assigned amount of project work and special assignments
- Partners with the field to ensure deliver on service goals
- Quotes new business opportunities for Core products
- Works directly with sales representatives and brokers on new business and service issues
- Demonstrates advanced understanding of the elements of pricing to include risk factors, retention, and reinsurance
- Interfaces with the sales force regarding underwriting issues and decisions
- Negotiates prices and benefits with sales representatives and brokers
- Mentors Regional Account underwriters and other staff members
- Look to leverage additional resources around key cases in order to facilitate better risk management, stimulate innovative thinking, provide creative solutions and potentially different perspectives
- Seek to understand your individual marketplace dynamics and those of the general market to maximize our chances of success
Regularly shares information, learning's and best practices
Acknowledges others' ideas, efforts and accomplishments
Models inclusive behaviors and collaborative work practices with in the team
Demonstrates superior engagement with the business and it's various partners
Actively seeks broader perspective of individual and group results
Is a positive influence to our organization asking why and offering solutions
Applies sound judgment, relevant information and good instincts to make, support and implement high quality decisions.
Champions improvement changes within functional processes and end to end activities
Takes an active role in the mentoring and development of other Underwriters.
- Bachelor's degree required, Business degree preferred
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and business communication skills
- Minimum of 6+ years of Group Benefits Underwriting, or related experience
- Extraordinary influencing, decision making and analytical skills
- Strong technical knowledge and financial acumen
- Bottom line accountability
Equal Opportunity Employer/ Females/ Minorities/ Veterans/ Disability/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity or Expression/ Religion/ Age