Tracking Code 178661-846Job Description
North America Vehicle Dynamics Manager Job Summary
The Vehicle Dynamics Manager is responsible Vehicle Dynamics development supporting Product Line Engineers in activities as required by the Product Lines. The team member will collaborate with Product Line Engineers, Systems Engineers, Algorithm Development Engineers, and Simulation Engineers in the development of Products that meet the needs of the Market segment, our Customers, and Tenneco. Responsibilities include leadership of a Global Vehicles Dynamics team for all Engineering execution requiring Vehicle Dynamics expertise. This Global Engineering Leader has considerable technical knowledge and must provide technical guidance to the global teams in the execution of the projects. Such teams will span multiple locations and cultures.
Leader will be responsible for Vehicle Dynamics activities for all Product Lines. Travel required by this position is approximately 35%. Team leader will be responsible for the leadership of a cross-functional team of 8 to 10 engineers and a budget of $x.
Functionally lead ONE Global Vehicle Dynamics Team comprised of Regional groups to provide Vehicle Dynamics Expertise supporting the Product Line Engineers in the development and maintenance of damping systems, damper modules, and suspension systems maximize.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Team Development
- Establish vehicle dynamics functional expertise for damping products and suspensions systems
- Develop standardized training material for the vehicle dynamics
- Establish an annual global status review & GAP Analysis
- Complete annual SWOT
- Complete annual skills assessment
- Complete the annual maturity model
- Hiring plan to close gaps in capability and capacity
- Own Succession planning for Global Ride Calibration team
- Develop future leaders for the Global Ride Calibration team
- Drive improvements in engineering execution through team development
- Drive structured problem solving through training and standardized tool utilization
- Create DFMEA Engineering Culture
- Support Product Line Engineers with SFMEA and DFMEA events relative to application specific vehicle system DFMEA’s
- Support damper system and component DFMEA’s relative to Vehicle performance
- Support functional safety analysis
- Create Design Review Culture
- Support Product Line specific design reviews relative to the Vehicle Performance
- Support Product Line Engineers with sign-off of TAP damper design’s for development vehicles
- Support Systems Engineering and Algorithm Development teams in the establishment and review of requirements documentation
- Establish the Home Room for Vehicle Dynamics Team
- Establish & maintain common processes for Vehicle Dynamics
- Own vehicle dynamics tuning of development vehicles to validate performance objectives
- Own the vehicle dynamics requirements for algorithms
- Forecasts operating costs of department and directs preparation of budget requests
- Own vehicle dynamics tuning for demonstration vehicles
- Own demonstration of technology to senior leaders and customers
- Support execution of global DTV/DTC activities related to damper components and systems
- Own the Engineering Execution Processes, Procedures, and Tools for Global Core EngineeringCollaborate with Product Line Engineers, Systems Engineers, Algorithm Development Engineers, and Simulation Engineers in the development of Products that meet the needs of the Market segment, our Customers, and Tenneco
- Own standardized subjective measurements system and documentation
- Own the calibration guide for Product Line’s
- Own the VPI’s and associated objectives measurement standards
- Support the annual vehicle benchmarking plan for passive damping systems with Ride evaluation when required
- Drive year over year operational efficiency improvements to the Engineering factory via KPI’s
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure safety of self and others
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer Focus – for all groups within Tenneco, OE Vehicle Manufacturers, and final customer
- Expert in Vehicle Dynamics and ride calibration
- Expert in Damper Physics & Knowledge of Valve Designs
- Expert in customer communication and relationship building
- Expert in internal customer communication
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner
- Team Work - Balances Team and individual responsibilities
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity
- Proficient in written & verbal communication skills; primary English with working knowledge of European, Asian, & Romanic languages.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
If you are looking next promotional role and meet the BELOW requirement WE want to meet YOU!
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 10 years' progressive experience in automotive engineering
- Must have a minimum 10 years' experience in vehicle development, tuning and calibrations is a must
- Background in development, test, or operations: e.g. Vehicle Dynamics R&H; Product Test Engineer; Production Engineer, Quality Engineer, Planning, Production - or Plant Management.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Windows Applications (i.e. Word, Excel, & Powerpoint) and Project Management software.
- Supervisory responsibilities are carried out in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems