Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the Music Director, you are responsible for crafting the sound of the music on The Current, the new music station from Minnesota Public Radio. In this role, you will select music for airplay, manage incoming music submissions, our music library, and maintain our contacts with record labels and the music industry. You will also guide the music identity of The Current's digital content, events and promotions. As the Music Director, you serve as a member of the Current's leadership team, helping align resources and personnel with APMG strategic directives and goals.
Minimum compensation: $57,300. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: October 16, 2020
- As part of the Current's leadership team, collaborates on various decisions regarding programming and production of digital content.
- Organize and maintain the music library. Add and screen songs in The Current's play-to-air systems and MusicMaster to ensure accuracy and compliance with FCC rules and regulations.
- Manage the music content for the station by helping to create and oversee daily music rotations and reviews, including working to set up recording sessions and remote content production.
- Collect, compile, record or otherwise gather music data and prepares standard and custom reports with information necessary for decision making.
- Lead The Current's process for music discovery by hosting and curating new music features.
- Report weekly charts and playlist additions to FMQB, Mediabase, and BDS.
- Serve as primary contact for artists and national bands seeking airplay on the Current.
- Run weekly music meetings – prepare materials, organize music listening, and network with industry to be knowledgeable on trends and developments.
- Collaborate on all aspects of the Local Music Initiative, including The Local Show, Local Current Stream, and relations with local music community. This connects Local Show to Local Current Stream, sessions, and branding/marketing of Local Current within MPR and to the outside world.
- Hosts live shifts on The Current and voicetracks programs as needed
- Schedules daily music logs.
- Curate and secure permissions for the Song of the Day download feature.
- Assist in creating and organizing station events and remote broadcasts.
- Serve as back-up for scheduling of sessions.
- Stay on top of trends by attending live music events in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Five years experience in radio or music industry.
- Work direction experience is required - must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
- On air experience
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be a team player, inquisitive, detail oriented, and self-disciplined
- In depth knowledge of the music heard on 89.3 The Current and a strong sense of the musical direction the sound of the station seeks to create and maintain.
- Familiarity with current radio trends, audience research, and music programming software.
- Comprehensive understanding of the art and craft of radio, especially music radio programming and its needs.
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire and lead the staff.
- Able to relate to strong air talents and able to work within a large growing and innovative organization.
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Outlook and other pc based software
- Must be self-motivated and a self-starter.
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality in an information-rich environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Detailed knowledge of music scheduling software and database (e.g. MusicMaster).
- Able to work effectively and collaboratively with The Current's team and other MPR staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Passion for local public service and community involvement;
- Ability to embody and reflect the values of MPR.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of MusicMaster is preferred.
- Knowledge of Dalet and Pro-Tools is a plus.
Reporting To This Position:
- P/T Host
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Evening and weekend hours will be required at times
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule which may require weekend and/or evening work.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.