The CCBO activity is a five-year, $48 million initiative of USAID which will serve as USAID's flagship program to target ocean plastics directly at their source in cities and towns. The project works to prevent ocean plastic pollution by building capacity and commitment for Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling (3Rs) and solid waste management (SWM) in urban and peri-urban settings, particularly in riverine and coastal areas. CCBO works with multiple USAID missions on country-specific implementation of national and local activities, and with USAID/Washington on global-level activities.
The Municipal Solid Waste Management Director will take a leadership role supporting activities which increase capacity and effective governance of solid waste management (SWM) and recycling systems to create a measurable reduction in ocean plastics. He/she will design locally relevant activities to improve local implementation of laws, policies, regulations, and national government initiatives, including through increased cooperation among local governments and with the private sector; improve revenue-generation and financing options for local governments to improve SWM and recycling systems; provide innovative service delivery models that improve efficiency, transparency, and monitoring of SWM and recycling systems and that take into account the role of informal waste collectors and potential impacts on vulnerable populations.
The geographic focus is on Peru, Dominican Republic, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. This is a Washington, D.C. area based position with travel to these countries as needed.
* Master's degree (or foreign equivalent) in a discipline related to government, engineering, management/administration, city planning, international development or related field.
* At least 7 years of experience strengthening capacities of municipal governments to deliver environmental-focused services
* Experience in Asia and/or LAC
* Experience in utilities including SWM, energy, water, and/or recycling systems highly desirable
* Proven communication, conflict resolution, facilitation and decision-making skills
* A good team member
* Flexible approach for working individually as well as in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
* U.S. citizenship or a valid U.S. work permit is an absolute requirement.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format