Spirit AeroSystems designs and builds aerostructures for both commercial and defense customers. With headquarters in Wichita, Kansas, Spirit operates sites in the U.S., U.K., France and Malaysia. The company's core products include fuselages, pylons, nacelles and wing components for the world's premier aircraft. Spirit AeroSystems focuses on affordable, innovative composite and aluminum manufacturing solutions to support customers around the globe.
- Conceives new product configurations, designs, manufacturing processes and advanced technologies for new aerostructures.
- Defines and performs research programs to mature concepts, technologies, and processes.
- Understands full life cycle requirements for product development.
- Defines future factory vision, concepts and options.
- Defines engineering requirements and compliance approaches up front.
- Defines test and certification plans.
- Assesses or evaluates product performance and manufacturing cost and viability.
- Performs trade studies for design alternatives.
- Capable of defining necessary resources and development plans.
- Works in concert with key functions to align and advance research plans.
- Progresses concept through initial configuration, prototyping, risk reduction and mature technology readiness.
- Documents and communicates plans and evaluations for future work packages, i.e. bid and proposal.
- Performs controls engineering tasks to support the development and refinement of prototype automated production equipment.
- The position requires a candidate who excels at utilizing loosely defined constraints to develop a robust, repeatable process based on experimentation and statistical analysis.
- Define the scope of the automation in a proposed process
- Provide an estimate of the cost to complete the project
- Provide a detailed schedule for project deliverables
- Specifies controls hardware required to complete a task
- Complete a safety risk assessment
- Generate electrical schematics for the equipment
- Generate the programs for the equipment, including PLC, HMI, Robots, and SCADA.
- Write manuals for the operation and maintenance of the equipment
- Define the critical parameters of a process and the controls to ensure they are followed.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited program in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- 3-5 years of experience in industrial automation, including PLC programming, HMI development, and electrical cabinet design
- 5 years project management experience
- Fluent in the programming of the following platforms:
- Studio 5000 Logix Designer
- ABB and KUKA robot programming
Spirit AeroSystems is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.