As an Underwriting Manager, you will be responsible for supporting an underwriting team in their day to day requirements while ensuring service level agreements are being maintained. The Underwriting Manager provides solutions and assistance to loan level escalations, complex scenarios and 2nd level mortgage reviews while also determining when loan level issues require escalation to the senior management level or Client’s management team. The Underwriting Manager directs the daily assignments of the underwriting staff and team lead to ensure acceptable turn time and load balancing as well as mentoring where required.
While you will be working remote, we are committed to creating a culture of teaming, collaboration and investment in our people despite the geographical differences.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain current knowledge of all secondary market guidelines, and disseminate and train guideline updates to the entire staff
- Direct the daily underwriting pipeline to maintain efficiency and designate priority based on company and branch needs and expectations
- Implement process improvements that will enhance efficiency in the underwriting process
- Perform second-tier review of files where required
- Perform spot checks to ensure underwriting quality and adherence to the process
- Address and resolve all loan level branch escalations. Identify when to escalate issues to the Director of Lender & Fulfillment Services
- Participate in daily team calls to discuss exception requests and decisions prior to escalating to the Client for consideration
- Identify trends and training needs, and work with the Director of Lender & Fulfillment Services to develop an action plan
- Communicate with Client personnel to ensure their full understanding of documentation requirements necessary for investment quality loans, and monitor and measure service levels provided by the underwriting team
- Monitor underwriter productivity and ensure the underwriting team is meeting or exceeding minimum production requirements
- Administer discipline when necessary in the form of coaching and counseling and verbal warnings as per SitusAMC standards
- Monitor all underwriter hours, overtime and PTO through payroll system
- Such other activities as may be assigned by your manager
- Direct Endorsement status from HUD and/or SAR authority from VA, experience with USDA a plus.
- Extensive Understanding of FHA, VA, USDA, Bond, Non-QM/Jumbo and Conventional loan guidelines
- This job will require NLMS & state specific licensing
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of recent Mortgage Underwriting Experience (FHA, VA, USDA, Non-QM/Jumbo, Conventional) with strong agency guideline knowledge
- 3+ years of recent Underwriting supervisory experience
- Strong working knowledge of ATR/QM requirements
- Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with both AUS and manual underwriting methods
- Encompass LOS experience a plus
- Knowledge of compliance and disclosure requirements
- The employee may be required to report to a different local office as a normal, contemplated, and mandated incident of their employment.
- Office environment with frequent computer use
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Hearing, talking, reaching, grasping, standing, and repetitive motions