Molding process engineers provide technicalsupport for molding and assembly operations for current production product and for new product and process development. This role interacts with a large cross section of the Thermo Fisher Employee base inclusive of hourly line workers, equipment set up personnel, team leads, shift supervisors, quality engineers, tool room personnel, and maintenance.
What will you do?
- Establish and optimize manufacturing processes, methods and procedures to assure product performance, quality and cost effectiveness
- Troubleshoot production issues and keep production running to support customer requirements until corrective actions can be implemented. Partner with Set-up, Maintenance, Quality, Operators, and other groups as needed to accomplish this.
- Uses fact-based analysis to identify gaps (NCRs, systemic problems, etc.) and develop corrective and preventive actions to address. Responsible for overseeing the timely implementation of countermeasures.
- Identify and implement Continuous Improvement projects and/or general improvement projects, utilizing Lean methodologies and tools.
- Coordinate and direct investigations in new processes, materials and other related technologies, and provides training for the operation as needed.
- Support the research, evaluation and procurement of machines, tools, molds and other equipment required to meet production needs.
- Coordinate and complete the validation process for new molding processes, machines and equipment.
- Establish engineering tolerances and specifications.
- Provide technical assistance and expertise to manufacturing in problematic situations, implementing corrective action and providing training as required.
- Establish and maintain manufacturing specifications, i.e., BOM, routings, set up sheets and other related technical input and documentation.
- Develop optimized Decoupled molding process
- Work with Tooling, Quality and Manufacturing Departments to debug and validate molds, maintaining optimized process
- Interpret print for product requirements
- Represent manufacturing engineering on New Product Development teams, insuring new products that are brought to market are capable of being manufactured to accepted specifications.
- Work with New Product Development group to validate new products
- Support NPD, such as with Process FMEA, Design FMEA, Process Flow Chart, and Control Plan / QCIP
- Actively participates in daily Gemba walks, as well as other site meetings.
- Participates in Value Stream Key Performance Indicators (KPI) reviews.
- Prepares capital appropriation requests and is responsible for administering the approved project capital. Aids in the development and implementation of capital budget.
- Is responsible to manage and lead team projects as assigned.
- Acts as a Role Model Leader, with a positive mindset and a passion to achieve short- term and long-term goals.
- Learn and implement internal and external best practices.
- Communicate with Marketing, Product Development, Industrial Design and Operations team members to resolve process, mold and equipment details that differ from product specifications. May coordinate and present manufacturing plans at design review meetings.
- Performs all job duties in a safe manner, consistent with the Code of Ethics and the 4-I Values, and follows all ISO standards, Company and site policies and guidelines, and regulatory or statutory requirements.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities, as needed.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechanical, Chemical or Plastics Engineering preferred); Master’s degreepreferred
- 5+ years working experience in a manufacturing environment with ISO quality standards strongly preferred.
- Technical depth in Blow Molding and/or Injection Molding strongly preferred.
- Experience with Tooling, Assembly/Test Automation and Clean Rooms a plus.
- Experience working closely with set-up and maintenance functions strongly preferred.
- SMED experiencesupporting mold and process requirements a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to deliver fact- based decisions and apply a mindset for Lean Management, gaining Value Stream efficiencies and continuous improvement.
- Candidate should have experience in successfully driving continuous improvement.
- Ability to conduct critical analysis and assessments to develop action plans that ensure efficient, lean, and effective processes are in place to produce quality products.
- Ability to accurately and quickly assess a situation on the manufacturing floor, and determine and implement corrective measures to maintain flow of production.
- Proficient in process auditing and Lean manufacturing techniques.
- Knowledgeable in advanced data collection, measuring, analysis, improvement and control.
- Strong ability to effectively use judgment and make decisions.
- Excellent prioritization, time management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization.
- Has working knowledge of other business functions (Quality, Supply Chain, Human Resources and Financial) in addition to Engineering and Manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn technology systems and applications is required; proficiency in SAP and Microsoft Office Suite is preferred.
- Ability to travel as required, <10% of the time.
- Working conditions require the ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb stairs, and work at a computer station and on manufacturing shop floor.