As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will be the subject matter guide for plastics’ forming processes and drives fundamental understanding across Corning’s Life Sciences Division. We look for you to provide injection molding process support for Division-wide or multi-plant injection molding projects. T
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Maintain knowledge of the newest technology developments within the plastics processing and manufacturing industry, while supporting the consistent application of new technology and standard methodologies.
- Supports continuous improvement activities, including new technology implementation and fundamental process understanding, in support of cost reduction and quality improvement projects.
- Ensures Corning's Intellectual Property management process is followed and any intellectual property developed as part of a project is properly documented.
Role within Group:
- Supports and provides recommendations to the Division Technology roadmap (including maintaining a knowledgebase of the latest technology advances within injection molding).
- Serves as Division injection molding SME in focused areas of material, processes, and process equipment.
- Drives implementation of new manufacturing technology.
- Division injection molding SME including focused areas of material, processes, and process equipment.
- Provides process support to manufacturing plants as needed, including development and implantation of scientific molding principals and understanding.
- Drives fundamental understanding and problem-solving skills.
- Develops injection molding solutions for new product introductions.
- Participates in tooling and product design reviews.
- Provides guidance to respective engineering groups to ensure optimized manufacturing process.
- Leads the debug and validation processes of new tooling.
- Ensures compliance to all plant and division standards.
- Uses rigorous processes and technical knowledge to build detailed technical understanding for key process steps.
- Functions as a team member or team leader on focused projects.
- Provides support to Automation department and vendors during development of automation systems.
- Uses statistical tools and Design of Experiments (DOE) in process problem-solving and product/process improvement.
- Intellectual Property management
- Up to 40%, including International
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Monday through Friday, 40+ hrs.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering. Prefer Plastics Engineering.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum of 5+ years in an injection molding process engineering role with experience with injection molding process development and debug.
- Scientific injection molding knowledge
- CAD experience, preferably SolidWorks
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Masters of Science (Engineering or Applied Science)
- High volume medical molding experience.
- Yellow Belt Performance Excellence training.
- RJG Master Molder 1 training or equivalent
- Performance Excellence Green Belt Certification
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to communication effectively – facilitation, listening, negotiation, presentation, speaking, & writing
- Do others view you as having good judgement, or a leader?
- Do your colleagues consider you to be positive, open and engaging and an effective member of a dynamic team?
- Are you a self-starter, passionate about engineering and have a high level of technical curiosity?
- Are you dedicated, open to new ideas and recognized for your flexibility to change?