There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) - Iowa (US-IA) - Waterloo
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Model Based Systems Staff Engineer (App-Layer Developer) - 35976
As a Model Based Systems Staff Engineer (Application-Layer Developer), for the John Deere Power Systems Division (Waterloo), you will provide technical leadership & direction for Next Gen AUTOSAR-based (Paradigm) Application-layer MBSE control strategy development. You will also provide technical guidance to other development team members and will be a primary authority regarding engine control strategy development. In addition, you will:
- Work with unit, division and enterprise partners to assess the needs and control system requirements to meet future regulatory challenges, partner & customer demands, and to provide improved control system robustness.
- Identify unique technologies and solutions that help provide enterprise partners with a competitive advantage.
- Identify, initiate and lead specific projects to effectively provide solutions to meet these needs. Potential scope of projects is broad, extending from sub-system controls and algorithm development to systems integration and optimization and up to, and including, defining future controls architecture.
- Work with suppliers and other institutions to identify & assess new technologies being offered or developed to clearly understand the business proposition for JDPS and our partner/customers.
- Document design solutions, simulate solutions using Matlab/Simulink environment, and contribute to the embedded software implementation and verification as required.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and advanced control methods and evaluate opportunities for practical implementation.
- Interface with the enterprise electronics Technology Development Process (TDP) initiatives to help guide these activities.
Visa sponsorship IS available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- 3 or more years of experience in automotive, heavy-duty engine or related control system development
- Knowledge of engine systems physics
- Understanding of systems engineering theory
- Knowledge & understanding of future trends in engine controls, including model-based development
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Mentoring, coaching or leadership skills
- Experience with model-based system design and development including using Simulink
What Makes You Stand Out
- 5 or more years of experience in automotive, heavy-duty engine or related control system development
- AUTOSAR experience
- Experience with CAN networks using SAE J1939 protocol
- Product development experience through all phases from conception to launch
- Advanced degree (MS) in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Computer Science or similar)
- Advanced degree (PhD) in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Computer Science or similar)
Education (or equivalent work experience)
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Computer Science or similar)