Schneider Electric Solar Inverters USA, Inc. ("Schneider") is a world leader in advanced power electronics, headquartered near Vancouver, Canada. We are a fast-paced, dynamic cross-functional team-based company. Schneider makes a positive difference in the lives of people around the world by combining proven technology with unparalleled market understanding to bring our customers products that enable the delivery of electricity anytime, anywhere.
We are currently seeking a Senior Firmware Controls and Model Based Design Engineer to join our Off-Grid Controls team based in our Burnaby, BC location. This position will be responsible for requirements analysis, specification, design, coding (Matlab, Simulink, and C), model based design and environment development, AC/DC and DC/DC power controls implementation, power controls state machine design and implementation, C code generation, exploratory and unit testing using simulators and hardware-in-the-loop, debugging, documentation, and test support. This position will be working on projects to develop and customize single-phase and three-phase inverters and chargers for solar, energy storage, and mobile applications in the rapidly growing renewable energy market.
We are looking for a positive, confident, self-motivated, passionate individual with a strong desire to work in an exciting, fast-paced, team based collaborative design environment to help us develop next generation technologies to empower and connect our products to each other, and to our customers.
- Collaborate in the architecture, design, implementation, and maintenance power electronics controls in a model based design environment with code generation for micro-controllers and digital signal processors.
- Continually develop the model based design environment, utilize latest technology and best practices, develop power electronics controls, increase simulation and hardware test capabilities, increase controller robustness and stability, shorten development time, and decrease our time to market.
- Develop detailed requirements and specifications based on marketing and system requirements, working with marketing managers, engineering project managers, and other multi-discipline technical leaders in multiple locations world-wide.
- Prepare and supervise the preparation of work breakdown structures, project plans, and scrum workflows.
- Work within a team of Embedded Firmware Engineers, Controls Engineers, Systems Engineers, and other Model based Design Engineers to implement power electronics controls, and the enclosing plant models in multiple simulation environments.
- Program within a collaborative, shared model based design environment using MATLAB/Simulink.
- Program C code to integrate the generated code into the microcontroller and digital signal processor code base.
- Design and implement state machines using Stateflow and C code.
- Prepare and supervise preparation of design documents, work instructions, and other technical documents to support design efforts.
- Participate in hardware and firmware design reviews.
- Write test plans and conduct unit tests, design verification tests, and system validation tests. Debug and tune models and algorithms based on test results and issues identified by other testers.
- Challenge and support marketing requirements, specifications, design decisions, and technical assumptions.
- Take ownership of designs, tasks, and deliverables. Become recognized as the local expert for technical features and systems.
- Provide input, strongly support, and create design guideline documentation driving forward the continuous improvement of the team practices, process, and methods, and the overall quality of deliverables.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's or master's degree in ElectricalEngineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Mechatronics/Systems Engineering.
- 10+ years of proven hands-on experience split across embedded firmware development and model based design.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- MATLAB and Simulink programming.
- C programming.
- Designing and writing multi-threaded embedded firmware in C/C++ for Real Time operating systems running in shared memory space DSP, CISC, or RISC processors.
- Use typical tools such as IDEs, software configuration management systems, hardware debuggers, and oscilloscopes.
- High speed real time controls.
- Model based system engineering including hardware in the loop testing and direct/auto code generation from simulation/models.
- General mechatronic competency (electrical, power, sensors, electronics controls, software, embedded firmware, communications).
- High levels of initiative and resourcefulness. Capable of operating with minimal direction.
- Excellent organizational skills, documentation ability, attention to detail.
- Goal oriented. Ability to maintain the greater picture while operating in the details.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated collaborative teamwork capabilities.
- Structured approach to troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Lead firmware project teams, with the ability to mentor more junior team members.
- Ability to travelinternationally 1 or 2 times a year.
- Experience designing and writing multi-processor firmware with a variety of inter-processor communications channels.
- AC/DC and DC/DC power converter knowledge.
- Analog, mixed, and power electronic circuit design including microcontrollers, DSPs, and FPGAs.
- Digital control of power conversion.
- Experience writing scripts using languages such