We are currently looking for an MOCVD Epitaxial Growth Engineer to join our team. The MOCVD Epitaxial Growth Engineer is responsible for performing epitaxial growth of compound semiconductor device structures, characterization of these materials, documentation of processes and process development, the necessary maintenance of growth lab and ancillary equipment, and interfacing with the laser design team.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Perform epitaxial growth of As and P based Group III - Group V materials & devices by MOCVD
- Documentation of growth run & characterization data & processes.
- Perform X-ray diffraction analysis, photoluminescence, and other measurements of grown materials
- Manage laboratory equipment maintenance including contractor supervision. Includes troubleshooting and repair of electrical, control, gas flow and vacuum systems associated with MOCVD growth tools
- Ability to perform electrical and optical measurements of laser devices; design of experiment for growth processes
- Work independently with other members of engineering development team in the development and implementation of new optical components for current and future Thorlabs products
- Write up and present technical growth developments for internal and external dissemination; good communication skills in English absolutely required
US Persons/Green card holders:
- Ability to work on ITAR related product(s)
- 5+ years of related experiencepreferred
- Minimum ? Masters degree or higher in materials science, electrical engineering or closely related discipline
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Deep understanding of semiconductor laser device physics and processing, including double heterostructure & distributed feedback lasers. Quantum cascade laser experience a plus.
- Hands on competency with high purity gas and vacuum systems including the ability to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Hands on chemical handling and hazardous gas experience
- Strong electrical & mechanical aptitude required to maintain or troubleshoot equipment. Experience with computer control systems desired.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications. Database experience a plus.
- Excellent communication abilities, familiarity with control system hardware and software, & general computer competency
- Must be physically able to use self-contained breathing apparatus per medical exam
- Direct hands on experience in performing epitaxial growth by MOCVD, MBE or similar technology.
- Strong familiarity with electronic and optical test equipment and methodology
- Strong familiarity with hazardous chemical & gas safety.
- US Citizenship
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.