At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
As a technical, hands-on Test Engineer for Mobile applications, your job is to participate in the manual and automation testing of our native iOS and Android applications. These projects are integrated over various systems and include: third-party financial account linking tools (think Mint and Personal Capital), call scheduling, email delivery, and complex financial planning interfaces and algorithms.
You will be under the guidance of a Test Engineering Manager of a team with an already-established, mature testing process. Your role will be that of a "full-stack" Test Engineer - someone who has a strong appreciation and skill in manual / exploratory testing with the capability of writing automated and performance tests (time and training is allotted after hiring to learn our automation framework).
Your general milestones are the following:
- Within the first two weeks, be able to jump head-first into an ongoing project and ask the appropriate questions / do the appropriate research to effectively construct test cases and understand what needs to be done in terms of integration / regression testing and eventual deployment.
- Within one month, understand the basics of our Appium-based automation framework to the point in which you can contribute basic automation tests.
- Within two months, be able to discuss high-level functionality and infrastructure of all of our iOS/Android apps. You should understand all basic user flows and how the technology behind it works.
- Within five months, be able to build out automated testing for entire features leveraging our current test infrastructure.
- Within six months, be able to write basic performance tests in Gatling.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Proven results of delivering and testing process improvement (with references).
- Working proficiency of at least one programming language.
- Enjoy exploratory (manual) testing.
- Experience in the mobile testing space.
- Experience using Selenium / Appium.
- Can move quickly. Everyone here is incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and a helping hand, but you have to be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements.
- Ability to explain technical solutions to technical teams and non-technical teams.
- 4-8 years of experience.
- Whip-smart team that is very friendly and always willing to lend a hand.
- Tons of room for career growth. Test engineering team especially is growing rapidly.
- Highly competitive salary
- Amazing Benefits