Do you want to help people connect with designers, artists, craftsmen and makers, and their handiwork?
Do you want to work at the intersection of commerce and meaning? We call this conscientious consumption. And we're looking for an ambitious Mobile Designer to bring his/her expertise to our Design team.
Have you worked on/for luxury, high-end brands, in fashion or travel? In this sector, if you've worked on e-commerce or retailexperiences, or long-form magazine editorial deliverables, and email, landing page and microsite designs, we want to hear from you if you can check off 2 or more of the above.
You should be comfortable in a startup environment, knowing that design is about visual and interactive communication, engagement and persuasion. You'll help create and define the user experience of our customer sites and apps on mobile devices. You will be deeply involved in early concepting, research, design, prototyping and all those last-minute details and tough decisions before shipping.
- Own and design flows, experiences, storyboards and mockups of our UI system from our consumer-facing site, our vendor-facing portal, and marketing that are elegantly simple, consistent and scalable to accommodate future features.
- Research to uncover best- or common-practices, analogous studies to work out and validate designs
- Work iteratively with Product and Engineering to nurture concepts and features from idea to final product
- Your turnaround time will be in terms of half-days for quick fixes, to days for research, to weeks for larger scale projects. You will be busy.
- Be part of our build and QA process, working with Product and Engineering to push products live
- Do it all over again, to improve features and products based on real-world usage and business goals
- Flesh-out, evolve and mature our current visual and interaction language and patterns, for at-a-glance understanding and overall joy
- Passionate about icons that are restrained for recognizability, yet distinct enough to convey our brand
- Provide pixel-perfect production quality assets to front-end developers
DESIGN & EXPERIENCE
- 6+ years out of design school, 3+ years UI experience on e-commerce, app and marketing UI, in agency environments, or something close
- You always put yourself in the users shoes, brains and hearts, and can easily imagine motivating them on their worst day.
- You know to get out from behind the desk and watch how the real world accomplishes analogous tasks, or are motivated to engage in a product or experience
- You're good being the glue between Product and Engineering, translating product ideas into concepts and designs that work.
- Detail-oriented and committed to creating great experiences, knowing details and nuances matter, because you love shipping beautiful products
TALENTED & BROAD
- You're part UI, part Visual Designer, part Hollywood FX designer, part Product Designer, and part Magician, and you will balance feedback and requirements from an equal number of stakeholders (marketing, content, editorial, merchandizing, art and product).
- You solve problems from an underlying sense of structure and metaphor to guide decisions and promote site-wide consistency
IN POSSESSION OF CHOPS
- You understanding responsive design. You are proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop and prototyping with pen/paper/scissors when necessary. You keep sharp by keeping up with emerging trends, common practices in design, tech and even high end fashion. You're organized and able to share your ideas visually and verbally
IN POSSESSION OF CHOPS
- RELIABLE, EASY TO WORK WITH & EASY TO MANAGE. Yes, we actually have to ask for this
- You can throw together basic HTML/CSS/JS prototypes
- You can sketch schematically, as well as illustratively to get your vision across
- Motion design chops to explore and demonstrate UI frameworks and transitions
- You follow fashion, or the retail industry, or people who make or design things.
COME WORK WITH US!
- IMPORTANT: We offer competitive salary, health benefits including medical, dental, vision, and equity
- HATS: Startup environment: jeans, plaid, t-shirts, your favorite hat
- EXTRAS: We don't have "Bring your dog to work," but we have hardwood floors, a roof deck with decent vistas on Freedom Tower and the Empire State Buildings
- NICE: But most importantly, we're super careful to hire smart, but friendly, attitude-free co-workers.
- Your resume includes links to work that best represents your instinct for clean, functional, engaging, and persuasive design, as well as your aesthetic sensibilities. Show us work your proud of, and your thinking behind it, even if it's not a million dollar project or ever launched. Links to design communities you're involved in (Dribbble, Forrst, etc.). Show us your inner nerd, including your favor design-nerd thing.