MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR: Goderich Ontario or Amherst N.S.
Directly supervises 10 employees in the Maintenance Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: training; planning, assigning, and directing work; ensure work is completed on a safe and efficient manner.
Summary: Oversee the operation of Maintenance Department. Directs and coordinates activities of workers engaged in repair, maintenance, and installation of machines, tools, and equipment in a salt blending and packaging plant. Responsibility is to ensure safe work practices and procedures are followed as well as ensuring high productivity from this department. Quality standards and safe work practices are to be followed. Effective maintenance scheduling and employee development.
Education and Experience:
Engineering Degree (4yr), or equivalent work experience and an Associate Degree (including technical training in industrial electricity and prior supervisory experience). Direct work experience maintaining industrial equipment, conveyors & packaging machines & equipment, piping, hydraulic systems, and other miscellaneous equipment. Knowledge of welding procedures & fabrication techniques is a plus.
- Supervises, develops the skills and directs/ delegates activities of the maintenance crew.
- Each tradesman has a wide range of skills and experience, effective supervision is vital to the success of the maintenance plan, execution of critical plant repairs and ultimately the reliability of the site.
- Assesses ongoing maintenance projects and job orders and determines work priorities
- Ensures safe working conditions and safe work procedures are understood and followed by crew
- Communicates equipment and job order status to appropriate people and departments
- Understand, present and enforce policies regarding safe work practices, production methods, quality standards, and preventative maintenance.
- Conduct monthly safety meetings and weekly tool box talks
- Troubleshoot equipment problems throughout areas of responsibility, determine maintenance needs, schedule repairs and oversee progress of same.
- Have input into developing maintenance budget.
- Evaluate productivity and other performance measures of employees and recommend possible improvements to work processes.
- To foster an environment of continuous improvement, complete projects that will strengthen the business.
- Optimize the preventive maintenance program
- Work with operators and Packaging Supervisors to make equipment modifications and to schedule equipment downtime for PM?s.
- Audit the Pm?s and repairs to ensure it meets maintenance standards and expectations holding the tradesmen responsible for their performance