Reporting to the Barrick Nevada Geology Manager, the Mineral Resource Manager (MRM) is responsible for managing, leading and coordinating all near mine surface and underground exploration; resource modeling and estimation; and geological data management functions of Geology Department. The position provides indirect input and guidance into open pit and underground grade control practices, procedures, estimates and reconciliation as the mines most senior geologist and technical lead. The MRM ensures that all activities are carried out in conformance with policy, especially with respect to cultural, safety, environment and legislative requirements.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Structure the Geology Department to achieve strategic objects.
• Ensure that time, focus and priorities of direct reports and Department employees are aligned for optimum team performance.
• Build and maintain collaborative internal relationships with key departments (Mining, Process, Environment, Growth, Safety and Finance)
• Develop Departmental KPI’s - to ensure agreed work programs, drilling, cost and ounce delivery targets are met.
Open Pit and Underground Geology
• Guide the Open Pit and Underground Geology Departments in developing strategy, technical programs and implementation of work programs so that resources and reserves are developed, mined and reconciled to best practice.
• Present strategies and work programs to Geology and Mining, Leadership, Corporate and JV Partners.
• Build and maintain formalized relationships with key contractors to effectively manage contracts to maximize efficiencies, productivity and safety results.
• Management of reconciliation systems that monitor resource/reserve generation from exploration models through the production process to milled production.
Near-Mine Exploration (MINEX)
• Manage and approve the development, proposal, implementation and safe execution of surface and underground MINEX programs.
• Ensure that MINEX programs are appropriate to Life of Mine plan scheduling.
• Generation of a 5 year MINEX development plan to ensure ongoing successful replacement of mined reserves and progression of projects through the MINEX project pipeline.
• Work together with the Barrick Nevada Growth Group to ensure all MINEX is part of the Barrick Nevada strategy for ongoing resource and reserve growth.
Resource and Reserve Management
• Implement strategies which ensure conversion of resources to reserves.
• Guide and contribute to continuous improvement of resource modeling practices, modeling procedures, reconciliation procedures and resource/ reserve communication.
• Liaise with geology staff to implement and monitor quality assurance programs to ensure accurate records are maintained for all resource and grade control evaluation activities.
• Contribute to ongoing geological improvement by analyzing existing processes and offering suggestions for enhancements.
• Active participation in all QA/QC programs including lab audits.
Geological Data Management
• Ensure that the Data Management Team are fully engaged and resourced to ensure the quality of all geological data is maintained on import and export from the geological database.
• Ensure that QAQC is applied across all collected data from Grade Control, MINEX drilling, Spatial Data collection.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Geology or related field required
• Valid driver’s license required
• 15+ years demonstrated near-mine development (MINEX) experience on tenements surrounding an active mining camp, concurrent with underground and open pit mine geologyexperiencerequired
• Demonstrated ability to interface cross-departmentally within an active mining environment
• Demonstrated ability to complete and interpret mineral reserve reconciliations against actual mined, actual planned, grade control, stockpiled and processed ore volumes
• Demonstrated ability to generate MINEX strategy and MINEX programs
• Demonstrated ability to engage, manage and lead consultants engaged in providing technical support to mine geology and MINEX programs
• Demonstrated ability to budget and manage mine geology & near-mine development finances
• Experience in the mining and exploration for structurally and stratigraphically controlled gold deposits with preference being for Carlin style mineralization
What we can Offer You
• A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and benefits, and stock where applicable
• Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
• Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
• Opportunities to transform traditional mining business into Digital Mining Business
• Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
• Access to a variety of career opportunities across Barrick locations