Middle Market Underwriters are responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified book of business through effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources under limited supervision. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in their respective area of expertise, including regular employee coaching with feedback to the manager on progress of the employee.
Are you looking for a Commercial Middle Market Underwriting opportunity with a responsible company that has consistently outpaced the industry in year over year growth? We have an excellent underwriting opportunity available. As a Commercial Middle Market Underwriter you will work to manage assigned agencies, select profitable risks and build a profitable portfolio of accounts. In addition to a wide range of benefits, as a direct employee, your insurance education and training are paid by us.
- Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives through successful negotiations. Develops and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
- Leadership: Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
Depending on experience this position can be a
Senior Underwriter, Underwriting Specialist, or Underwriting Consultant
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Five or more years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred. CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial lines products and contract knowledge including regulatory and policy differences among applicable states.
- Demonstrated depth in negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work with multi-faceted systems.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage complex workload while exhibiting very sound judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with agents and other departments and must also exemplify superior teamwork.